Unable to Export certificates as Personal Information Exchange - PKCS #12 (.PFX) file format.
We are using Windows 2003 Certificate Authorities, and we are unable to Export certificates as .PFX, our only options are, DER encoded binary X.509 (.CER), Base-64 encoded X.509 (.CER), or Cryptographic Message Syntax Standard - PKCS #7 Certificates (.P7B). The .PFX option is grayed out in the Certificate Export Wizard on the CA. This posses a problem because our Windows 2008 server running IIS 7 wants us to import a certificate as .PFX can someone explain what is happening and how to fix it please
February 18th, 2010 6:27pm

Too late to fix the existing.Your certificate template must allow export of private key (enable the option on the Request Handling tab - if I remember correctly). The ability to export the private key is determined at the time of key generation (prior to creation of the actual certificate).Can you tell me more about your scenario? In many cases, IIS can have different certificates in a LBS cluster, as long as the subject information is identical on each node. That being said, there are some apps that do require the same certificate. In those cases, you need to move towards custom requests (not domain requests) that request a custom certificate template that enables key exportBrian
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 18th, 2010 7:09pm

Thank you Brian for the quick reply. I do have a check box in the "Allow private key to be exported" section on the Request Handling tab, that's why this is driving me crazy. Well all this was prompted by an error when trying to use IIS on a Windows Server 2008 to request a Domain Certificate from a Windows 2003 CA. Create Certificate The certificate request was submitted to the online authority, but was not issued, The request was denied. I have permissions on the template set to: Authenticated Users - Read, Write, Enroll The2008Server$ - Read, Write, Enroll Domain Admins - Read, Write, Enroll Domain Computers - Read, Write, Enroll I am able to run the Certificate MMC and request it that way and it works.
February 18th, 2010 7:39pm

You cannot do a Domain request as it is hard coded to request the Web Server certificate template, not your custom template that you have created that enables key export.- you can verify this by doing a dump of the binary request that failed. CHeck out the actual certificate template requestedBrian
February 18th, 2010 7:51pm

dope, thank you very much Brian that explanation helps a lot, I wish the error message said that instead of "check your permissions you idiot" you don't know how much hair I lost trying to troubleshoot this
February 19th, 2010 11:21am

OK, I don't mean to beat a dead horse to death, but... On my Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP2 Certificate Authority server I launch the Certificate Authority MMC, I click on Issued Certificates, then I find and click on the Web Server certificate I issued to a Windows 2008 Server Standard Edition SP2 based on a duplicated template version 100.7 with the export private key enabled feature on, then I click on the Details tab and Copy to File button, that launches the Certificate Export Wizard I click on Next and the Personal Information Exchange - PKC #12 (.PFX) is grayed out ... but ... when I go to the Windows 2008 Server Standard Edition SP2 that got the certificate and launch the Certificate MMC and go to Certificates (Local Computer) \ Personal \ Certificates and doble click on the issued certificate then go to the Details tab click on Copy to File button and launch the Certificate Export Wizard, click Next, say Yes, export the private key, click Next, then the Personal Information Exchange - PKC #12 (.PFX) is available. THAT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE TO ME I reissued the cert a few times and same result every time.
February 19th, 2010 6:15pm

This means that Microsoft listened when people stated that they wanted to be able to export Web server certificates.In the *newer* build, you are able to do that.In the *older* build you cannotRemember what I said earlier, the decision whether the private key is exportable is made **before** the request is event sent to the CA. You can override this option in the certificate template. So Windows SErver 2008 does. Windows Server 2003 does not.Brian
February 19th, 2010 8:11pm

Greg -- The private key doesn't exist on the CA, but it does exist on the computer on whic you created the request. Here's what happens when you request a certificate. If you're generating a request with a new key pair -- which you will in the vast majority of cases -- Windows first generates the public and private key pair. The private key is written to a key store. Where the key store is located will depend on which Cryptographic Service Provider (CSP) or Key Storage Provider (KSP) is specified in the template. KSPs were introduced in Windows Server 2008/Vista, and are only available in v3 templates. In the case of most of the default Microsoft CSP/KSPs (with the exception of those used with Smart Cards), the key store is located in either the user's profile, or in the case of computer certificates, the All Users profile. It is at this point, by the way, that the properties of that private key are also written to the key store. One property of interest to you immediately is whether or not Windows should allow the private key to be exported. Once the key pair is generated, the request is then created. The request contains the information that should be in the certificate. This information is generally specified by the template with the exception of the Subject field, which contains the Common Name or Distinguished name of whoever is requesting the certificate. In the case of IIS, the Subject will be your site name. The public key is included in the request. Windows then signs the request with the newly created private key. Windows also creates a dummy certificate object in the Certificate Enrollment Requests store so that it knows that there is an outstanding request. At this point, the request is saved to a file or sent to an online CA depending on how you generated the request. Note that the private key is not sent to the CA in most cases. The exception to this rule occurs when you have Key Archival enabled on the CA, and the template specifies that the private key should be archived in the CA database. If this is the case, Windows retrieves the CA Exchange certificate from the CA and uses the public key in that certificate to encrypt the newly created private key. This encrypted private key is included in the request. Once the CA receives the request, it processes that request to determine if it should issue the certificate or not. In the case of the Enterprise CA, this decision is based on the permissions on the template. One can also specify that certain templates require CA manager approval before they can be issued. Assuming that everything is correct in the request, and that the necessary information can be retrieved from Active Directory (perhaps the user's email address, or the computer's DNS host name -- it depends on the settings in the template), and that any CA Manager approvals specified in the template have been performed, the CA builds the certificate and signs it with its current private key. The certificate has been created. This certificate is stored in the CA database, which is why you can export it in the Certificate Authority snap-in. If the encrypted private key for that certificate has been included in the request to be archived, the CA decrypts it first with its CA Exchange private key, and then re-encrypts it using the public key(s) for any Key Recovery Agents configured on the CA. The newly encrypted private key is also stored in the CA database. Note that this encrypted private key can only be retrieved and decrypted by a valid KRA. The CA then returns the certificate to principal who requested it. If the request was first saved as a file and then submitted to the CA you have to retrieve the certificate manually. It is only returned automatically if you submitted the request via the Certificiates MMC, or if the application you use to submit the request retrieves it for you. IIS does this, when you use the certificate request wizard to request a Web Server certificate. When the client has received the certificate, it locates the dummy certificate object in the Certificate Enrollment Requests store. From this object, Windows copies the location of the key store for the private key (among other things). This dummy certificate object is then deleted, and the new certificate is imported into the Personal store. The private key information is then written to an internal property of the certificate in the store. This is how Windows locates the private key of that certificate in order to use it when you invoke the associated certificate. When you go to export the certificate and private key, Windows reads the private key locate information from the certificate properties in order to find the key store wherein it is located. Assuming export is allowed, the certificate and private key are written to a password protected PFX file. That's how a certificate request gets turned into a certificate, and explains why the private key doesn't exist on the CA. If you need to generate a PFX file, then you'll have to export the certificate from the computer on which you generated the request. Hope this helps. Jonathan StephensJonathan Stephens
April 18th, 2010 9:23pm

Jonathan, that was really helpful, But i am still having issues with the export. i am pretty much on the same situation, and no matter what, i can't export the private key. i have setup the template to archive the key, export the key, but still, it's not letting me export the key. I also tried to export from the machine where i installed the certificate but no luck. I am trying to deploy the wireless security using computer certificate, and i don't thing it will work without the private key installed on the machine. thanks, julu007
January 8th, 2011 7:22pm

Click on the issued certificate and copy to a file. Double click the newly created file and select "Install Certificate" The Import Wizard opens, select Next. Select "Automatically select the certificate store...", click Next Click Finish Now go to MMC and add snapin. Click Certificates and select Certificates - My user account, click Finish Now go into Certificates- Current User Personal Certificates Right Click the certificate you just imported and select export Select next You can now export the .pfx file with password.
March 24th, 2011 3:18pm

Ever get this one figured out? I've been working on this for hours.. I've set my Cert Server to require me to approve all cert requests.. in the template I have set mark keys to be exportable and the other option to archive private keys.. As soon as I submit my request it fails.(I added the archive private keys just so it fails right away, if i remove this option it still fails) I've tried submitting the .req file i made with the exchange 2010 console.. or tried submitting a new request by filling out the forms.. but I can never get it to allow me to export the private key.
July 15th, 2012 11:42am

Thanks Jonathon.. I re-read your post and understand better.. I had tried a few things.. 1) In the Cert MMC I was trying to export the cert from there with private keys.. that did not work.. 2) Import the cert into local certificates by clicking the cert in the certificate authorutity mmc and installing it.. then going to the certificate mmc and exporting.. Basically I just had to download the cert directly from IE.. that worked with out issue.
July 29th, 2012 8:06am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics