Unable to Delete Files - Error Deleting File or Folder
I am unable to delete a specific set of files from a Windows Server 2003 server. When trying to delete through Explorer.exe I get the message:- --------------------------- Error Deleting File or Folder --------------------------- Cannot delete ChargeStatsfor27Mar09: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again. --------------------------- OK --------------------------- I have checked within Computer Management for Open Files and can confirm that Windows is not reporting it as being open. I have checked Security permissions and have taken ownership of the problematic files with the logged on user (a member of the domain admins group...). I have run Unlocker (latest version as at 12/01/2010) which finds no open handles. I have tried deleting the files using a Command Line but get a similar message to that above. I have run Process Monitor and Process Explorer from the Sysinternals suite and have found no clue as to why these files cannot be deleted i.e. no data is returned to suggest what the problem is. I have run Chkdsk on the volume containing the files which has produced no detected errors - haven't run this with the /F switch yet though as need to arrange downtime. Also haven't had chance to reboot for the same reason. HP RAID diags show that there are no HDD hardware faults. One strange thing is that the "Summary" tab of the files is missing when right-clicking and selecting Properties. I can only assume some sort of corruption which may be causing this!? Either way I need to remove these files. I have about 8 years of Windows experience and this one really has me stumped so any help would be greatly appreciated.
January 12th, 2010 6:39pm

Hi, Is it a picture or a video file? Try to change the view in the folder to Thumbnails and try to delete the file, if did not help try to change the view to Details and try to delete the file.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 12th, 2010 7:45pm

It's an Excel 2003 spreadsheet and changing does not have an effect. Given the file cannot be deleted using a command prompt either I was expecting this to the case.
January 13th, 2010 1:31am

Hi Jonathan, When the error message appears, do you have a chance to take process explorer to capture to see if there is 2 open handles by the SYSTEM process on the file you want to delete? Based on our experience, if there is some Anti-Virus application installed on the file server, it could cause this kind of issue. Please check if you have MxAfee installed, and we suggest you to keep update the latest version of the Anti-virus application installed on that server. Meanwhile, please also try the following: 1. Boot into Safe Mode and try to delete the file;2. Check the following KB: You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volumehttp://support.microsoft.com/?id=320081 Hope it helps. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.Hope it helps.
January 13th, 2010 6:38am

Hi,I want to see if the information provided was helpful. Please keep us posted on your progress and let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns. Best Regards, David ShenThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
January 18th, 2010 6:10am

this could be if any of the apps which might be having a lock on this particular file you are trying to delete. Use Handle.exe from SysInternals, this tools will display all the open handles for the file you are trying to delete. Kill the process and try deleting the files.Regards,Rajesh
January 18th, 2010 2:52pm

A reboot of the server resolved this issue though I suspect following Rajesh's advice may have helped had I tried it in time.
January 18th, 2010 3:58pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics