Unable to Connect Computer To Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2

I just did a fresh install, on a brand new box, of 2012 Essentials R2.  No errors of any kind.  Existing client computers are Win7 Pro x64 and were previously joined to an SBS 2003 R2 network.  I set each computer to be part of a workgroup, instead of the existing domain, prior shutting down the SBS box and removing it from the network.

When using http://servername/connect the connect software is downloaded "ComputerConnector(192.168.1.2)" but after running this software I get the following error:

"Cannot connect this computer to the network

The server is not available.  Try connecting this computer again, or for more information, see Troubleshoot connection computers to the server."

I've read this thread

This did not help

"We have the answer thanks to users at the Windows Home Server Forum.
We have ignition! Thanks to everyone! The key to all this was the reset of the computer in Active Directory. Here is the exact step by step procedure I followed to get it to rejoin:
1. Go to AD and reset the computer you want to disjoin (remove) (right click the client computer and choose "reset"
2. Remove computer via Dashboard in Devices
3. Restart the Client computer you just disjoined
4. Logon to the local Admin account
5. Uninstall the Windows Server 2012 Essentials Connector from Programs and Features
6. Go to Computer Properties and Make sure it is set to a Workgroup and not on a domain, which it was.
7. Click on More and make sure there their is no DNS suffix entered
8. Click on the Network ID button and select "this computer is part of a home network"
9. Restart the computer as requested
10.Log on to the local admin account and connect again via browser. (servername/connect)
Good to go!

Reset was the key because I reimaged that client and did the same procedure without the reset and it would not rejoin."

First, there are no computers listed in AD, so I can't reset.  Second, there is not Connector software listed in programs and features, so I can't uninstall it.  Third, I did remove the existing DNS suffix from the client PC, double checked it was part of a workgroup and restarted the client, reran the servername/connect and ended up with the same error as I cited above.

I've removed a previous install of dotnet 4.5.2 and let the connector software reinstall it.  Same error as cited above.

Per the same thread, disabling IPv6 redownloading and running servername/connect results in the same error cited above.

All prerequisites per this article are met.

Log files can be found here

I've tried servername/connect in both chrome and IE, same error in both browsers.  Anyone have a solution to this?  Otherwise, I'll have to put the SBS box back up before Monday morning roll around.

Thanks in advance.

July 4th, 2015 1:06am

ping servername works.  24 is DNS provided by ISP.  ipconfig release/renew and flushdns on both server and client.  Same error when trying to connect.

When I download the connector software, the server IP is appended to the filename.  When running the exe, the IP address is used automatically when trying to connect instead of the servername.  If I rename the file and omit the IP, then the servername is used automatically.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 4th, 2015 8:06am

Did you set dns on the client to the server?  Is that 24 in the dns settings? take it out if so

SBS was the dhcp server so it did this for you. Your router would not normally set dns to the server

July 4th, 2015 8:25am

No I did not set the client DNS to the server IP.  Client was set for auto obtain for IP and DNS.

Some success with one client.  I manually assigned an IP/subnet/gateway/dns on the server.  I used the IP of the router as DNS on the server.  Ran connect software as admin via right click (not sure if this matters, just mentioning it). Client was able to finally connect.  Client had no internet access after joining.  Looked at client DNS settings which was pointed to the server IP.  I changed this DNS to the router IP and now have net access again.

In summary:

Server

IP 192.168.1.2

Subnet 255.255.255.0

Gateway 192.168.1.2

DNS 192.168.1.1

Client

IP auto obtain

DNS 192.168.1.1

Does this seem legit to you?  Awful lot of hocus-pocus, IMO.

July 4th, 2015 8:46am

no it sounds all wrong to me :)

server gateway should be the router dot 1 (the router is your gateway to the net right)

Server dns should be itself in the form of 127.0.0.1

Client dns should be the server dot 2

DNS is important in domains and must be properly configured.  I think somewhere you said you installed and removed dhcp from the server?  Did you follow the essentials instructions or just willy nilly add the role :)  It is not really needed on the server

July 4th, 2015 8:51am

on the server open admin tools and select dns

right click the servername >properties

forwarders does it happen to have the old sbs that is no longer there?

Go to monitoring and tick both test's and test now

July 4th, 2015 8:56am

oops, typo.  Ther server gateway is 1.1.  I'll try the 127 on the server and server ip as gateway on the client.

Yes, I did install and remove the DHCP role on the server.  Both were done via Server Manager - add roles and features.

July 4th, 2015 8:57am

no the gateway on the client should be dot 1 but it should get that from dhcp on the router

only thing you need to do on the client is set dns to dot 2

July 4th, 2015 8:59am

on the server open admin tools and select dns

right click the servername >properties

forwarders does it happen to have the old sbs that is no longer there?

Go to monitoring and tick both test's and te

July 4th, 2015 9:05am

click edit in the forwarders tab and add dot 1 then move it to the top click appl
July 4th, 2015 9:21am

recap:

On the server

IP 192.168.1.2

Subnet 255.255.255.0

Gateway 192.168.1.1

DNS 127.0.0.1

Forwarders has

fec0:0:0:ffff::1  unable to resolve.

fec0:0:0:ffff::2  unable to resolve.

fec0:0:0:ffff::3  unable to resolve.

Monitoring: Simple Query pass, recursive query fail.

On the client

IP auto obtain

DNS 192.168.1.2 (no net access)

if DNS 192.168.1.1 (net access)

July 4th, 2015 9:23am

yes on the client dot 2 will fail until we fix dns on the server.  Dot 1 will let it surf, but may have problems talking to the server as in joining the domain
July 4th, 2015 9:24am

click edit in the forwarders tab and add dot 1 then move it to the top click appl
July 4th, 2015 9:27am

what do you mean unable to resolve?
July 4th, 2015 9:28am

what do you mean unable t
July 4th, 2015 9:31am

lets just reboot the server actually you might try services.msc and restart dns server, but I think I would just reboot the server and the client while you are at it
July 4th, 2015 9:33am

Shutdown client.  Rebooted server.  Restarted client.

Forwarders is still unable to resolve 1.1  Monitoring tests pass immediately, no hesitation.

Client is now using 1.2 as DNS and getting net access.

July 4th, 2015 9:43am

I think that is progress :)

while we are in DNS, expand servername>forwardlooku zones click servername.local

does that have dot 2 or the old ip the server had?

July 4th, 2015 9:46am

On the servername?  That is showing dot 2.  My client is also listed, which is showing dot 3.  dot 3 was the IP of the old server, if that matters.
July 4th, 2015 9:54am

as long as the ip's are correct that is fine.  I have been clicking with you and now my router says unable to resolve fqdn so I am not really worried as it passes the tests and you can surf.

I think I would leave as is, go to another client, set dns to dot 2 and run the connector.

I gotta run do some stuff so replies may be slower

July 4th, 2015 9:58am

Will do on another client and report back.

Thanks so much, for your help, thus far.  Much appreciated!

Edit: 2nd client joined nicely.  On the right track here.

July 4th, 2015 10:00am

For some reason, local profiles are not listed when joining so it looks like I'll have to setup user desktops and outlook etc.. again for each client.
July 4th, 2015 10:18am

Just wanted to say THANKS again for the help the last couple of days.  Still a few issues to work out (custom folder permission, printer drivers. server/client backup) but got all clients joined to the domain and client software reconfigured/setup again.  Major step in the right direction.
July 4th, 2015 5:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics