Unable to Capture Image in WDS
VMWare - 64-bit guest operating system with 32-bit Windows XP installed andsysprepped with the -reseal -activated -mini options. On my WDS, I have a capture image file based off of Windows 2008, x64. On the guest OS PXE boot,WDS automatically detects x64 architecture and gives me the x64 menu options which includes the x64 capture image When it comes to the area to pick which volume to capture, the list is blank. Shift+F10 does not show my C drive. So I am wondering if I sysprepped it incorrectly or if I just don't have the storage drivers for it? I have tried various sysprep.inf files including the buildmassstorage=yes option. Ideas? Thanks, Chase
June 30th, 2009 8:02pm

There are two common reasons for this problem: Cause 1: The boot image does not contain the proper drivers for the computers hard disk drive controller. To troubleshoot this, when the Image Capture Wizard first starts, press SHIFT+F10 to open a command prompt. Run Diskpart, and then run lis disk. Select each disk (for example, sel dis 0 and sel dis 1), and then type lis vol to list each volume. Ensure that the volume that contains the offline Sysprep image is viewable. If it is not, you need to add the driver for your mass-storage controller to Windows PE so that it can detect the local disk that contains the offline Sysprep image. To do this, use one of the following procedures:To inject drivers into a boot image, and use the boot image to create a capture image: 1. Add a boot image to your server. 2. Mark the image as offline (disabled). 3. Mount the image by using ImageX and Mountrw (included in the Windows AIK). 4. Insert all of the drivers that use PEIMG.exe into the boot image. 5. Mark the image as online (enabled). 6. Create the capture image using this boot image. To load the driver yourself in Windows PE: 7. Boot into the capture image. 8. Press SHIFT+F10 to access a command prompt. 9. Use Drvload.exe to load the driver. 10. Confirm that you have access to the local disk that contains the offline image. 11. Press ALT+TAB to return to the capture wizard and continue the process. Cause 2: The volume does not contain an image that was prepared using Sysprep. To determine whether the offline image has been prepared using Sysprep: 1. Run regedit to load the offline system hive. 2. In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System, create a new key called Test. 3. Import the offline system hive from C:\windows\system32\config\system (assuming the offline operating system is located on C:\) into the empty Test key. 4. Examine the two registry keys in the imported system hive that are checked by the wizard: 1. Ensure that HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Setup\CloneTag exists 2. Ensure that HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Setup\SystemSetupInProgress is set to 1. If either of the registry keys are not set correctly, there are two likely causes: The Generalize check box was not selected when Sysprepwas run. After Sysprep completed, the computer was specialized before the Image Capture Wizard was started. This can happen if you installed WindowsVista, ran Sysprep, rebooted the computer, and then failed to signal the network boot in time so that the computer starts to boot and the specialization process runs. You realized your mistake, restarted the computer, and signaled the network boot. Then you booted into Windows PE and start the image capture wizard. In this scenario, the wizard will not show the volume because the offline image is no longer generalized. To resolve either of these, boot into the image, run Sysprep again, and then perform the capture process again.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 1st, 2009 6:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics