USB redirection on Windows server 2012 as guest OS
Hi, I have deployed a Host server having windows 2012 as Host OS and hyper-v installed there. I have deployed 2VM's on this host one is windows 8 and other one is windows 2012. When I am connecting my USB device at client side, it is getting redirected in windows 8 guest OS. The problem I am facing with Windows 2012 guest OS. The USB redirection is not working over there. I have gone through the articles/blogs published by Microsoft, but no one is talking about Windows 2012 as a guest OS. Do I need to install some feature over Guest OS 2012? Please suggest me the right way to do it. Best Reagrds, Sharad
April 24th, 2013 12:47pm

Hi Sharad, Not sure if you have enabled and configured RemoteFX in Hyper-V. Read through the below link.. http://sqlrows.blogspot.in/2012/08/remotefx-on-hyper-v-running-windows.html#.UXewXtdrV4E And the below link for RemoteFX USB Redirection in Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2012/09/11/remotefx-usb-redirection-in-windows-server-2012-and-windows-8.aspx Let me know if that helps.. Thanks Preenesh !!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 24th, 2013 1:25pm

Hi Preenesh.... Thanks for the quick reply... I have enabled RemoteFX in Hyper-V. I have gone through both the links mentioned above by you. but non of the two links talks about settings in Windows 2012 as a GUEST OS. As I have mentioned earlier I dont have any problem if guest OS is windows 8, it is getting redirected very well there. Please suggest how to do make it work over windows 2012. I am running my Windows 2012 Guest VM hosted over Windows 2012 OS. Best Regards, Sharad
April 25th, 2013 8:10am

How are you connecting to the Windows Server 2012 guest? RDP? I redirect USB drives all the time. You need to ensure that your RDP connection is configured to share local drives. .:|:.:|:. tim
April 25th, 2013 3:03pm

Hi Tim, Thanks for your suggestion. I have connected through RDP only. I also configured RDP to share local drivers but things did not work. One thing I have done extra to make it work is installed Session Host featured on server. Is it necessary to installed session host feature on windows 2012 guest OS? Best Regards, Sharad
April 26th, 2013 8:38am

Hi Sharad, 1. Could you send me a screen print of the Remote desktop Connect -> Local devices and resources 2. Could you let me know the OS version of the machine you are trying to RDP from? Thanks Preenesh !!
April 29th, 2013 12:36pm

Hi Preenesh and Tim, I am able to redirect USB. Thanks.. Sharad
May 3rd, 2013 7:59am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics