USB ports not working
During the install of server 2k8 I used a flash drive to install the raid drivers. Now that I have installed exchange 07 on the server I cannot use any USB devices. I have tried flash drives, mice, and hard drives. I checked in device manager and the drivers are showing as functioning for usb. Any thoughts?
November 7th, 2008 12:55am

Hi, I suggest trying the following steps to troubleshoot the issue. Step 1: Reinstall USB controllers ==================== 1. Click "Start", type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search bar and press Enter. 2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK". 3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers". Then, please restart your computer and Windows Server 2008 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically. Note: If you are using a USB mouse, please follow the "Use the Keyboard" steps to reinstall USB controllers. Use the Keyboard ------------------- First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps: 1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the Start Menu. Press "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Run" and press "Enter". 2. Type in "devmgmt.msc" and press "Enter". 3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers". 4. Press "Right" and expand it. 5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it. 6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers". Then, restart your computer and Windows Server 2008 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically. After reinstalling USB controllers, let's check the result. If this behavior persists, let's boot into Safe Mode to check if this behavior is related to hardware. In Safe Mode, it will load the system with the minimum amount of programs and devices. Step 2: Log on Safe Mode ================ 1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple Operating Systems, you can press the F8 key when you see the boot menu. 2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter. 3. Log onto the default administrator account or any user account with the administrator privileges. Note 1: In Safe Mode, your system display and desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary. To go back to Normal Mode, we just need to restart the computer. Can USB devices work in Safe Mode? I look forward to hearing from you. Tim Quan - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 7th, 2008 12:56pm

Removeing the usb devices and reinstalling after a reboot did the trick.Thank you.
November 10th, 2008 4:49pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics