USB Ports not recognizing...
My USB Ports are not recognizing anything when I plug in. Although they do still work manually (after plugging in, going through explorer to access the device).I suppose I have to reinstall the drivers? If this is the case, how do I do so? (I am not a person with technical computer skills!)Appreciate any advice you can give me.
December 27th, 2008 6:46pm

All your input devices must be working under Windows (i.e. the old version of the USB driver must not be running, the device should not be disabled etc.) You must be Administrator. Select "System" from the control panel. If "System" is not visible, click "Select classic view" at the left of the window. Select the "Hardware" tab. Click "Device Manager". Expand thedesired input device Double-click on the desired input device. Select the "Driver" tab. Click "Update Driver". Make sure "Install from a list or specific location" is checked. Click "Next" Make sure "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install" is checked. Click "Next". Click "Have Disk". Select the correct location. Click "Ok".Click "Next". Click "Yes". Click "Continue Anyway". Click "Finish". In case if you face any problem you can refer the KB article as wellhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/297402Thanks and Hope it WorksSyed Khairuddin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 28th, 2008 12:15pm

Hi, Until now, if the version of operation system you used is higher than Windows 2000, the system will recognize most of the USB devices. I am a bit confused about your description, can you tell me more about it? 1, Whats the version of the operation system you used? 2, Are there any errors occurred when you plug the USB devices? 3, You mentioned that you can go through explorer to access the driver, so the system can recognize the USB device and show it in My Computer. Whats your meaning of USB Ports not recognizing ? Can you view the drive letter from My Computer? Scenario 1: Drive letter is not generated automatically ------------------------------------------------- You can do the following steps to make them appear in My Computer: 1, Right click on My Computer, select manage. 2, Select Disk Management, you will find the USB device in the disk management without drive letter. 3, Select the USB device. 4, Right click. 5, Select Change Drive Letter and Paths 6, Click Add button 7, Select Assign the following drive letter and select a letter you want to assign to the drive. 8, Click OK Scenario 2: Drive letter is generated automatically but Autoplay does not work ------------------------------------------------- 1, Click Start , click Run , type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK 2, Find [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer] 3, If there is "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=dword:000000ff, delete it. Note: Please backup the registry before you make the change. For more information about autoplay, please refer to the following article: How to correct "disable Autorun registry key" enforcement in Windows http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953252/en-us In addition, please plug your USB device to another computer to see if there are the same problem. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
December 29th, 2008 2:28pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics