USB Block 2012 policy error

I have implemented a group policy in 2012 Domain Controller to block the USB Removal device. The Group policy is successfully deployed and the USB device was block. But when i removed the group policy it has been found that it has disable the USB Storage driver. In device manager it is showing exclamation mark. Then i have to uninstall it and then again i have to install the driver manually on the machine. Then it works. Its becomes manual process. 

We have done Gpupdate on both Domain Controller and on the client Machine. I have run the rsop also.

• Moved by pbbergsMVP Thursday, November 21, 2013 3:28 PM
November 21st, 2013 6:25pm

I think this best be moved to the gpo forum
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 21st, 2013 6:27pm

Hi,

Based on your description, I understand that you have remove the group policy of blocking USB removable device. However, you still cant use those USB device on client. If I misunderstand, please dont hesitate to let me know.

Meanwhile, would you please let me know if you cant find the related group policy of blocking USB removable device from the RSoP? Please ensure that you have removed it.

Please open Registry Editor on client and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Services\ USBSTOR. Then please check the Value Name field: Start, if the value Data field of it is 4.

Data: 4 (hex) = Disabled
Data: 3 (hex) = Enabled

So, please change the value to 3. Then you will be able to use those USB removable device. According to the clients on domain, you can change the registry value by using GPP.

On GPMC, please navigate to Computer Configuration-> Preferences-> Windows Settings-> Registry. For detailed operations, please refer to the following article.

Configure a Registry Item

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753092.aspx

In addition, there is a screenshot from the following link, will help you to understand visually that how you configure. You should change the value to 3, will achieve your target.

http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2010/02/how-to-use-group-policy-to-disable-usb-drives-on-windows-xp/

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

November 22nd, 2013 11:41am

Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? Just checking in to see if my suggestions were helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Justin Gu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 28th, 2013 5:48am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics