URL Redirect not working
I apologize ahead of time for the lack of info on this. I have been able to find very little information to troubleshoot this. I have 2 nearly identical Citrix servers: 2003 Standard w/SP2, virtual machines. I don't think it issue is Citrix as the issue happens when using RDP to connect directly to the server. Issue: we have a redirect set up on our web server that points an internal URL to an external web site. On one of the servers the redirect works fine, on the other, the internal URL never redirects and eventually times out. I can ping the internal URL and it is pointing to the correct web server. I do see some NetBT messages in the event viewer but the messages show up on the server that works as well, so I don't think they are related. I have a couple of servers that have this problem and can't seem to find a common setting that could be causing this. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
February 11th, 2012 10:56am

How are you handling the redirect..in IIS, URL Rewrite module, in code?Guides and tutorials, visit ITGeared.com.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 11th, 2012 2:51pm

We have an Http redirect set up in IIS
February 11th, 2012 2:52pm

So you have two internal URLs that point to the external URLs or you have one internal URL that maps to both internal webservers? Did you validate that both configurations in IIS are identical (sorry had to ask the obvious)? On the one that is not working, you may want to do some packet capturing to see if the redirect is leaving this server and that this issue may be due to filtering on the network (firewall, proxy, other network issue). Guides and tutorials, visit ITGeared.com.
February 11th, 2012 3:08pm

to clarify: 1 internal URL that points to 1 external URL the HTTP Redirect is set up on 2 servers running that are load balanced (not the server with the problem) the redirect works fine on most computers and server in our environment I have a pair of servers that are nearly identical and on 1 the redirect works, the other it does not work
February 11th, 2012 3:12pm

Ok then, if I was to troubleshoot this issue, there is obviously something different between these two systems or there is something on the network preventing one system from the redirect. I would take a network capture from the web server that doesnt work. See if the packet that tells the requestor to go rediret somewhere (you should see an HTTP 301 or 302 packet go back to the requesting system. You may want to take a packet capture from the one that is working so you can see what to expect. Compare the two. if they are not identical, continue to focus your effort on the point where you see a difference between the two.Guides and tutorials, visit ITGeared.com.
February 11th, 2012 4:05pm

again, the web servers are fine and working correctly. the problem is on a different server (not a web server, no IIS installed) that is simply not redirecting an internal URL to an external URL
February 11th, 2012 4:09pm

I'm confused. I appologize for not understanding your description of the problem. Ok, so how do you expect to create a redirect to an external URL without a web server performing the redirection? What i understood is that you have two web servers that are load balanced (one internal URL). So a user types in the internal URL and the web servers redirect them to the external URL. One web server is working, but the other is not. Please clarify your issue: "Issue: we have a redirect set up on our web server that points an internal URL to an external web site. On one of the servers the redirect works fine, on the other, the internal URL never redirects and eventually times out. I can ping the internal URL and it is pointing to the correct web server." Do you really mean you have an issue with an DNS record not resolving to the correct external IP address? Guides and tutorials, visit ITGeared.com.
February 11th, 2012 4:50pm

Hi, According to the problem description, this issue is related to IIS. For IIS issue, the best resource is IIS forum. Based on the current situation, youd better submit a new question to IIS forum for further assistance. In this way, your issue can be resolved effectively. IIS Forums http://www.iis.net/ Thanks for your understanding! Regards,Arthur Li TechNet Community Support
February 13th, 2012 10:25am

Hi, According to the problem description, this issue is related to IIS. For IIS issue, the best resource is IIS forum. Based on the current situation, youd better submit a new question to IIS forum for further assistance. In this way, your issue can be resolved effectively. IIS Forums http://www.iis.net/ Thanks for your understanding! Regards,Arthur Li TechNet Community Support
February 19th, 2012 2:30am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics