UPS support - or total lack thereof
Err, what the ____ has happened to UPS support in 2008 R2 (and probably 2008 before it)? The UPS service is completely gone and, for those UPS systems that present themselves as a battery, you can no longer configure the OS to run a program/script/batch-file on the low or critical battery levels/alarms. About all I can do is configure it to shut the machine down at the low/critical battery levels. I actually want to do more complex stuff when these events occur but there's no way to do this. I'm honestly STAGGERED at the removal of this functionality. Toby.Toby
June 23rd, 2010 1:22am

Hi, What you should do is to contact the vendor of the UPS to ensure whether the UPS is compatible with Window Server 2008 R2. By the way, you need to install the application from the vendor of UPS and then manage the UPS from the application. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 24th, 2010 10:40am

Hello Vincent, if i understand the OP correct, he is talking about the missing UPS service listed under services.msc within Windows server 2003, which is not longer shown in Windows server 2008 and higher. I searched the lists about deprecated features but can't find anything listed about the removal of this serviceBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
June 24th, 2010 2:01pm

Hi Meinholf, you are indeed correct, that's exactly what I'm on about. MS have both removed the UPS Service for compatible models connected via a serial cable and, for those supplies which connect via USB and present themselves as a battery, they've removed the ability to run a program on the low and critical battery alarms. They've obviously shunted the responsibility for UPS management to the hardware vendors' own programs, which is what I'm annoyed about as, in my experience, these are generally awful and I much prefer using the OS's own functionality.Toby
June 24th, 2010 4:12pm

Hi Meinolf, Thanks! Toby, you may need to perform the further research on Microsoft Connect. http://connect.microsoft.com/ Best Regards, Vincent Hu
June 25th, 2010 10:33am

Thanks Mr Hu for pointing us to a useless website...I've already researched the issues and it turns out to be a huge mistake on the Microsoft Server team to remove this feature. However, the fact still remains that MS removed the UPS service without any mention in the documentation or deprecation list. I had perfectly working Win2003 power shutdown batch file that is now useless because I upgrading to Win2008R2. Tthere is no way to duplicate that "complex" batch file shutdown process in Win2008R2. We had a simple OS supported feature that worked very nicely that you have now replaced (I think) with an APC multi-program install, takes hours to configure and install, but I'm not even sure if I will even get the same basic functionality when I'm done. Basically, I think you are a F___ing A$$____s and I don't appreciate your arrogant attitude in the previous post. Thanks, KK.
April 23rd, 2011 10:07pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics