UPS Critical Power Action - Hard Shutdown
Server 2008,I have an APC BR1500 UPS. It's hooked up through USB and monitors the the power level just fine.I set the critical power action to shutdown at 20% battery left.Today, we had a power failure and I was watching the server to see if it would shutdown correctly but when the battery got to 20%, the server hard shutdown instead of a clean shutdown.APC says their software is not supported on anything higher than XP so I'm just using the Windows built-in power management.I know there was still juice in the battery becuase the switch, routers, and modems were still running.Why is the server hard shutting down when I told it to shutdown?How can I make the server shutdown correctly?
July 9th, 2009 9:15pm

Hi, You mentioned that APC says their software is not supported on anything higher than XP. So the APC BR1500 UPS doesnt compatible with Windows Server 2008. It is recommend that you contact the vendor of the UPS for more information. Best regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 10th, 2009 9:13am

Yeah, I thought just by chance it might be Server 2008 related....but I hooked it up to an XP box and it hard shut that machine down as well.Looks like the UPS is messed up.Thanks.
July 11th, 2009 2:05am

hi djxmmx,I have searched the apc support groups but didnt find anything related to APC BR1500UPC support for windows 2003 / windows 2008. so you need to wait for the vendor to support the operating systems.sainath !analyze
July 12th, 2009 8:28pm

I just hooked up an APC Back-UPS CS series to a 2k8 x64 server and had the same problem. Windows recognises the UPS and provides laptop-like power plan options, but what should be a graceful shutdown is just a power off.BUT... despite what you find on the APC site, and despite what it says on the CD, Powerchute Personal Edition 2.1.1 works perfectly on the above. I'm also running Hyper-V and all VMs shut down gracefully first - just as they should!
August 20th, 2009 2:07pm

Yeah, I've done a lot of tests with my APC and shutting down andhave hadnothing but problems.I actually RMA'd the thing, got a brand new one, and still the same problems...Here is what I've found through extensive testing (this is with a BR1500):* If I don't install any APC software and have the UPS hooked up via USB, it will hard shutdown at threshold.* If I install the APC software, hook up the UPS via USB,and I'm logged in, it soft shutsdown. However,when power is restored to the unit, the battery keeps draining untill it's dead; then it resumes.* If I install the APC software, hook up the UPS via USB,and I'm NOTlogged in, it hard shuts down.* If I do not connect the USB cable, all is good, except when the battery dies and then everything hard shutsdown, of course.This is the same with both units I had, the RMA'd one and the new one.Even withdifferent machines (Server 2008 x64 and XP).
August 20th, 2009 6:25pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics