UAG and geographical HA and NLB?

Hi,

Is it possible to have a UAG array (HA and NLB) across 2 physical locations? (e.g. 1 array between New York & LA)?

Thank you

July 8th, 2013 2:47am

What is the difference in latency between the two sites?

User from LA accessing NY resources and other way around?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 8th, 2013 6:30am

Will have to find that out - what would be the cutoff point for this to work?
July 8th, 2013 8:17am

Hi,

Is it possible to have a UAG array (HA and NLB) across 2 physical locations? (e.g. 1 array between New York & LA)?

Thank you

Yes it is possible, but not with the built-in UAG clustering component as all servers need to reside on the same subnet for it to work.   Because of this limitation, we designed a UAG add-on software product that provides HA, NLB, and Geographic intelligent routing to UAG regardless of where in the world they're located.  Our solution is software based and runs directly on the UAG array master, and small agents on the members.

The geographic routing is quite interesting as our application retains a database containing all the regional IP information around the world and can send users to the most geographically appropriate UAG.  This is important because latency based routing isn't reliable any longer as most DNS servers will no longer allow external queries.  So, for your example you can setup geographic regions where everyone east of the Mississippi river go to your NY UAG and everyone west can go to your LA UAG.   You can even assign specific cities in states to a particular POP.  Our largest customer using this technology has 5 geographic sites with 70,000 users.

If you would like more information, just fill out the form and reference this TechNet posting:

http://www.portsys.com/index.php/contact-us

July 8th, 2013 10:04am

Will have to find that out - what would be the cutoff point for this to work?

Consider what performance your users are willing to accept, that will be the lowest. It depends on what your hosting behind the UAGs, if it is acceptable or not. In order words, even tho it might be technical possible, it might not be the right solution-

I will do some lab on the technical side of this during the next days.

July 8th, 2013 4:04pm

thank you Keith - will take a look at the product you've recommended
July 8th, 2013 7:38pm

No problem, I hear what you are saying - and unfortunately at this stage we are still collecting all the requirements - and mine was just a generic question.

thank you

July 8th, 2013 7:39pm

Alright, 

So far no problems in creating an UAG Array over two networks, with a routing gateway between.

UAG 1: IP: 10.0.10.10 Subnet: 255.255.255.0 GW: 10.0.10.1

UAG 2: IP: 10.0.20.20 Subnet: 255.255.255.0 GW 10.0.20.1

DC: IP: 10.0.10.100 Subnet: 255.255.255.0 GW 10.0.10.1

GW: IP: 10.0.10.1, 10.0.20.1, DHCP Subnet: 255.255.255.0 

Now I need to test the functionality with some web servers also. I will let you know how it goes :)

July 12th, 2013 3:20am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics