UAC is denying access to drives logged on as member of Administrators group?
If I logon to a 2008 R2 server as a member of the Administrators group (but not as Administrator) I'm unable to access the data volumes on the servers. The permissions on the drives are Administrators and System have F/C. If I totally disable UAC I can access them. What I can't narrow down is exactly which bit of UAC I need to disable in order to be able to access them please? Ideally I want to do this via GPO so as not to have to do it on each of my servers. Thanks.
February 21st, 2011 9:23am

Hi Paul, would you be able to provide more information on permissions of data volumes which you can't see on servers when you logon using an account (domain\abc) which is a part of administrators group is that account also a part of some other group which got some permission on data volumes?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 21st, 2011 5:53pm

This is a common issue which is discussed a lot since Windows Vista released. This is becaused of UAC. Start from Windows Vista, all accounts in Administrators group (except Administrator account) are work as standard accounts when UAC is enabled. When it needs, a box will occur to say we need administrator permission to do this action. If folder is only shared to Administrators group (as you mentioned in description), we will not able to access it as the account is run as standard account, which do not have permission to do this job. A workaround is to add a new group and join all admin accounts to the group, add the group to Security tab. Or just add your current account to Security group.Shaon Shan |TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
February 24th, 2011 3:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics