UAC and viewing permissions
Hi all I've created myself a user account that I use to login to my servers. It's part of the Administrators, Domain Admins, Enterprise Admins, and Organization Management groups. But when I go look at the Security tab in the Properties of my user shares, it says "To continue, you must be an administrative user with permission to view this object's security properties." I know that the Domain Admins and Administrators have full control over this folder, so why must I add myself with Full Control to be able to view this information when I'm part of both these groups? I do not want to add this user account to every folder I need to view properties of. Thanks! Ryan
April 28th, 2011 12:00pm

Hi Primo, You can try to disable the UAC. Start > run > control > users > turn off users access control. Hope this helps :) Guowen Su | CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH | http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 28th, 2011 12:21pm

Thanks for your reply Gouwen. I thought the same thing, but the default setting for my UAC alraedy has the setting for "Don't notify me when I make changes to Windows settings." The lower settings deal with less notification for software installs, not Windows settings. Unfortunately this will not fix my problem. The default Administrator account works the way I'd like, but I don't know how to replicate that environment on my personal admin account. I thought putting it in the same admin groups would accomplish this. Ryan
April 28th, 2011 12:27pm

Hi primo, i see.. well alternative way will be taking ownership of the particular folder.. :) but definitely it will be abit tough if you have tons of folders to inherit :) but may i check with you if you are currently running DFS in your organization ?Guowen Su | CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH | http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!!
April 28th, 2011 12:31pm

Yes, DFS is running. The Namespace and Replication services are started on my Domain Controller. I can take ownership, but I was hoping to not have to do that. Especially considering that the current owner of these files and folders is the Administrators group, which my personal admin account is part of. Even to create a new folder on the data drive with my personal admin account has the UAC shield next to it.. something doesn't add up here! EDIT: I even recreated the user profile by copying the Administrator account with no luck.
April 28th, 2011 12:36pm

Just to verified with you. Is your storage running on a NAS ? If so there might be limitation on access rights. :) But if is logical disk from server. Most likely the problems lies with your ou or groups. Have you tried creating a new groups to test or using other accounts to test ?Guowen Su | CCNA, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH | http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!!
April 28th, 2011 9:53pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics