Two servers one update BSOD
I am running Windows 2008 Enterprise x64 on all 4 of my physical servers. The other week, my two servers that had Nocona processors both blue screened on me. I was able to get the file server back up and running by running a repair on startup. The other server failed on the repair. It says an update corrupted the Windows installation, it also took out the System restore point. I tried to run it into Safe Mode like the other, but it does not get past the crcdisk.sys with giving a BSOD. So unfortunately I am unable to restore the system right now. Though not much taken out, just SQL Server, it is funny that all 4 servers received the same updates, but only the two with the older processors were unable to accept it. Has anyone else had this happen lately? The updates that took out the machines were published at the beginning of May.Michael R. Mastro II
May 21st, 2009 3:28am

hi there, are you attaching USB HD by any chance ?please make sure you capture the BSOD error message and paste it out here , we might want to take a complete memory dump for analysis .sainath Attending Microsoft Teched 2009
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 21st, 2009 11:06am

Hello Michael, Thank you for posting here. To involve more community members to discuss on the BSOD issue, could you please elaborate more on the issue? For example, what is the number of the security update? What is the detailed information before the system try to pass crcdisk.sys on the screen? What is the hardware of the problematic server? Meanwhile, please also perform the following suggestions. Please try the Last Known Good Configuration option when you start the problematic server to see if you can boot into it. A. Restart the computer. B. Keep pressing F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears C. Choose the Last known good configuration, and press Enter Based on my experience, there are many causes which result in Windows Server 2008 boot issues which stop at crcdisk.sys. 1. The drive of HP ProLiant DL360 G5 could cause Windows Server 2008 fail to start in both normal and safe modes. In safe mode, the last driver show up in the list is crcdisk.sys. Suggestion: if the issue happens on HP hardware, please disable HP iLO drivers to check if it helps. 2. The issue is probably caused by incompatible services or drivers. Windows Server 2008 is of the new generation of Operating Systems in the Windows family. We design Windows Server 2008 in compliance with the industrial standard. We also do our best to make our OS work properly with most third-party products. However, please understand that the device drivers, even those shipped in the operating system (OS), are provided by the hardware manufacturers. When a new operating system is released, usually third-party vendors or manufacturers will update their products to take full advantage of new features in the latest OS. If the driver is not compatible with the system, the device may not work properly or other unknown problems may occur in the system. Suggestion: Therefore, I recommend you contact the manufacturer of the hardware vendor to see whether they have an updated driver(s) for Windows Server 2008. Please also check the Hardware Compatibility List (HCL): http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx If you do not hit above known issues, to narrow down the root cause of the BSOD issue, we need to analyze the crash dump file as Sainath said. As it is not effective for us to debug the crash dump file here in the forum,if you want to know the root cause and the resolution, I would like to suggest that you contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607 Hope the issue will be resolved soon.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
May 21st, 2009 11:34am

Thanks david,that was really good explanation.sainath Attending Microsoft Teched 2009
May 21st, 2009 3:19pm

No USB HD attached. If I can catch the BSOD Screen when it flashes by I will try and get it.Michael R. Mastro II
May 21st, 2009 6:43pm

I will try to answer the best I can, since I do not have all the information available to me.I do not know the number of the security update, I know that 3 were installed in the first week of May, and my problems began then.Startup repair has the following: Repair action: System files integrity check and repair. Result: Failed. Error Code = 0x490. Time taken = 455469ms. But later in the listing it passes. Then the last result is displayed: Root Cause Found: A patch is preventing the system from starting. Repair action: System files integrity and repair.The hardware is a SystemMax server.. Tyan Tiger i7320 Motherboard, 2 Intel Xeon "Nocona" 2.0 GHz processors, 4 GB DDR2 FB DRAM, 1 80 GB Western Digital SATA II hard drive for the main partition attached to the motherboard, 4 80 GB Seagate SATA II Hard drives attached via LSI SATA controller.Last Known Good configuration, resulted in BSOD 5 times.System has been stable for 8 months since the install of Windows Server 2008, prior to this patch, all drivers had been updated. Am working on recoving the bootloader to see if I am able to get it to at least go into safe mode. I have disconnected all hard drives with the exception of the main hard drive.Michael R. Mastro II
May 22nd, 2009 12:21am

Hello Michael, Thanks for the reply. Based on the current status, we need to analyze the crash dump file to narrow down the root cause of the BSOD issue. As it is not effective for us to debug the crash dump file here in the forum,if you want to know the root cause and the resolution, please contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) to get further help. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;OfferProPhone#faq607 Hope the issue will be resolved soon.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
May 22nd, 2009 9:38am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics