Two routers on same network; one is VPN router - Is it possible?
Hello, I think this fits more into networking than security. I am currently running a client/server network in my home. Server is Windows Server 2003, clients are XP, Linux & Mac. I am interested in deploying a second router with VPN capabilities (I had the Dlink DIR-130 in mind) http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=563 I want integrate it with my existing network and router (The Dlink DIR-655) http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DIR-655 So my questions is, is there a way use both routers on the network and still be able to utilize the VPN router's VPN capabilities? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
June 20th, 2010 7:59am

That dos not make a lot of sense to me. The logical thing to do is to simply replace your ADSL router with one which supports VPN as well. If you are currently running a wireless network, the 130 is not a suitable replacement, as it is for wired not wireless client machines. Have you looked at the 330? Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 20th, 2010 10:05am

That would be the logical thing to do, yes, but I have yet to find a Dlink router that is at the very least 802.11 draft n that also supports VPN. The 330 is wirless g. Wirless N is a must for my home. I also have grown accustomed to Dlink's router interface so I would like if at all possible to use a dlink product.
June 20th, 2010 10:26am

As you agree, not a clean config to have. You can do it by keeping the VPN router at the edge, attach the wireless router to it and the use them somewhat like this: Internet>>(Public IP)VPN Router(192.168.x.x)>>(10.0.0.x)WIRELESS(172.16.x.x)>>CLIENTS Also, if your wireless router supports port forwarding, simply use the 2003 server (or even a XP Clent) as VPN Server. Just do a PPTP forwarding. Keep security in mind, use a firewall if possible.Regards, Amit Saxena. Keep Walking!
June 20th, 2010 4:28pm

Hello, Why don't you set up the VPN router as your gateway and use the N router as a wireless access point? Configure the VPN as your Gateway. Then, just conenct the Wireless N's LAN port to a LAN port on the VPN Router. Then assign the Wireless Router a LAN IP address from your subnet. Call DLink for exact details on how to configure it as an access point because I am not familiar with them but I know you can do it. Miguel Miguel Fra / Falcon ITS Computer & Network Support, Miami, FL Visit our Knowledgebase Sharepoint Site
June 20th, 2010 9:17pm

Hello, Why don't you set up the VPN router as your gateway and use the N router as a wireless access point? Configure the VPN as your Gateway. Then, just conenct the Wireless N's LAN port to a LAN port on the VPN Router. Then assign the Wireless Router a LAN IP address from your subnet. Call DLink for exact details on how to configure it as an access point because I am not familiar with them but I know you can do it. Miguel Miguel Fra / Falcon ITS Computer & Network Support, Miami, FL Visit our Knowledgebase Sharepoint Site
June 20th, 2010 9:17pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics