Two identical 2003 R2 servers suddenly won't boot
Hi,I have 2 Windows 2003 R2 Standard servers (SP2) running on identical hardware (PowerEdge 860), that are set to automatically reboot at 2am every day. This morning I get alerts that both of them are down. I come in and they are both in a cycle of getting as far as the Windows 2003 loading screen and then rebooting back to BIOS screen.No changes were made to these machines, and they both booted fine yesterday morning. They will start in Safe Mode, but there's no indication that I can find in the Event Logs that anything went wrong.I thought maybe the AV had decided to quarantine a driver or some other key file, but that's not the case. I'm at a loss.....can anyone suggest a course of action?
January 29th, 2010 6:34pm

I have a similar problem with three dell poweredge 800 servers, they would all of sudden cont. reboot. I however could not get them to boot in safe mode. they would lock up at the same spot and just reboot. The only course i could take was to reload the OS.Have you ran any diags on the server hardware? Were any updates installed? in safe mode can you disable all startup groups and see if the server boots?Try uninstalling common drivers and rebooting, video, NIC, any raid drivers that are not OS related.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 29th, 2010 7:35pm

Hi Herbchris53, Thank you for post in Windows Server Forum. According to your description, I understand that two of PowerEdge 860 Windows Server 2003 R2 can not boot in to Windows. To isolate the AV and 3rd party software influence, please perform a clean boot of these servers to see if the issue continues. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the following check boxes: Process SYSTEM.INI File Process WIN.INI File Load Startup Items On the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All. Click OK, and then click Restart to restart your computer. If the issue persists, please boot into safe mode and perform a "sfc /scannow" to check OS components. In addition, check the %windir%\Windowsupdate.log to see whether there is any new Windows update caused the issue. If so, uninstall this update in the add/remove programs and test the result. I would highly recommended that you contact DELL engineer to send you a server hardware healthy checker tool to ensure these server's hardware are OK. SincerelyWilson Jia This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
February 1st, 2010 5:43am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics