Two errors when trying to install a 32 bits printer from a 64 bits Server 2008 R2
I have this environment: Server 2008 R2 64 as a printer server (also DC, DNS and DHCP), one Win7 64 and two WinXP 32 client computers Three comon domain users, two printers installed and shared GP created to deploy them automatically In the Win7 64 computer no problems at all using any user In the WinXP 32 machines I get the error: "You Do not have sufficient access to your computer to connect to the selected printer" When login as admin I get the ability, but also get a message saying Im using a wrong driver Im sure Im using same driver: 64 and 32 versions Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advanced.
August 28th, 2012 8:04pm

Hi Dear friend I think you should search for windows XP drivers in website of the printer and download both 32 and 64 driver for windows XP, those Drivers are for windows 7. If it didn't solved Tell me, good luck
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 28th, 2012 11:39pm

Please make sure you download the correct printer driver for your Windows XP client. Try add the network printer via Printer and Faxes on Windows XP machines and see the result. In addition, ensure you didnt configure the policy setting Prevent Users from Installing Printer Drivers . Regards, MiyaMiya Yao TechNet Community Support
August 29th, 2012 1:18am

In your GPO, under Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Printers have you set the Point and Print Restriction setting to Disabled? If not, do so.
August 29th, 2012 1:23am

Hello, for driver version please assure that 32 and 64bit use the equal names in the .ini file, even a spacee must be on the same place during driver installation on the server. See more details from another posting: First things first. Your running Server 2008. NEVER go back to the printers folder for local printers. PRINTMANAGEMENT.MSC is the tool. Right click on the printer, Manage sharing... Are there any error messages during the install? Error 2 is file not found Error 3 is invalid network path Error 5 is access denied. The driver names for x86 must be identical to those used on x64. If the name does not match you should get an error about the selected printer driver not found. what print drivers are installed? cd %windir%\system32\Printing_Admin_Scripts\en-US cscript prndrvr.vbs -l to just pull the names pipe (| the upper case \ key) to findstr D:\Windows\System32\Printing_Admin_Scripts\en-US>cscript prndrvr.vbs -l|findstr /I /C:"Driver name" Driver name infotec IPC 2525DN PCL5c,3,Windows x64 Driver name Xerox WorkCentre Pro C3545 PS,3,Windows x64 Driver name Xerox WorkCentre Pro 55 PS,3,Windows x64 Driver name Xerox WorkCentre Pro 45 PS,3,Windows x64 Driver name Xerox WorkCentre Pro 35 PS,3,Windows x64 Driver name Xerox WorkCentre 7345 PS,3,Windows x64 Driver name Xerox WorkCentre 5655 PS,3,Windows x64 Driver name Xerox Phaser 8550DX PS,3,Windows x64 Driver name Xerox Phaser 8400DX PS,3,Windows x64 Driver name Xerox Phaser 7400DX PS,3,Windows x64 Driver name Xerox mini Driver for XPS,3,Windows x64 Driver name Xerox DocuPrint N4025 PS,3,Windows x64 Driver name Xerox Document Centre 555 PS,3,Windows x64 Driver name Xerox Document Centre 470 PS,3,Windows x64 Driver name Terminal Services Easy Print,3,Windows x64 Driver name Microsoft XPS Document Writer,3,Windows x64 Driver name HP LaserJet M4345 MFP PCL 6,3,Windows x64 Driver name HP LaserJet 9050 PCL 6,3,Windows x64 Driver name HP LaserJet 9050 mfp PCL 6,3,Windows x64 Driver name HP LaserJet 9040 mfp PCL 6,3,Windows x64 Driver name HP LaserJet 9000 PCL 6,3,Windows x64 Driver name HP LaserJet 4050 Series PCL 5,3,Windows x64 Driver name HP Color LaserJet CM4730 MFP PCL 6,3,Windows x64 Driver name HP Color LaserJet 9500 PCL 6,3,Windows x64 Driver name HP Color LaserJet 9500 mfp PCL 6,3,Windows x64 Driver name HP Color LaserJet 9500 mfp PCL 5,3,Windows x64 Driver name HP Color LaserJet 5550 PCL 5,3,Windows x64 Driver name HP Color LaserJet 4730 mfp ,3,Windows x64 Driver name HP Color LaserJet 4700,3,Windows x64 Driver name Generic / Text Only,3,Windows x64 Driver name Xerox WorkCentre Pro C3545 PS,3,Windows NT x86 Driver name Xerox WorkCentre Pro 55 PS,3,Windows NT x86 Driver name Xerox WorkCentre Pro 35 PS,3,Windows NT x86 Driver name Xerox WorkCentre 7345 PS,3,Windows NT x86 Driver name Xerox WorkCentre 5655 PS,3,Windows NT x86 Driver name Xerox Phaser 8550DX PS,3,Windows NT x86 Driver name Xerox Phaser 8400DX PS,3,Windows NT x86 Driver name Xerox mini Driver for XPS,3,Windows NT x86 Driver name Xerox DocuPrint N4025 PS,3,Windows NT x86 Driver name Xerox Document Centre 555 PS,3,Windows NT x86 Driver name Xerox Document Centre 470 PS,3,Windows NT x86 Driver name HP LaserJet M4345 MFP PCL 6,3,Windows NT x86 Driver name HP LaserJet 9050 PCL 6,3,Windows NT x86 Driver name HP LaserJet 9050 mfp PCL 6,3,Windows NT x86 Driver name HP LaserJet 9040 mfp PCL 6,3,Windows NT x86 Driver name HP LaserJet 9000 PCL 6,3,Windows NT x86 Driver name HP Color LaserJet CM4730 MFP PCL 6,3,Windows NT x86 Driver name HP Color LaserJet 9500 PCL 6,3,Windows NT x86 Driver name HP Color LaserJet 9500 mfp PCL 6,3,Windows NT x86 -- Alan Morris Windows Printing Team Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "ThomasAJ" <ThomasAJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B78E857E-F74C-4AFE-AB44-2DF70E23FF7F@microsoft.com... > I need to share a printer attached to a WS2008 64 bit machine to a WS2003 32 bit machine. I click on Printer Properties/Sharing/Additional drivers/check x86 and start the install process of drivers I have already installed on WS2003 32bit. The install fails. I have had huge problems with a currupted printer on WS2003 (I use that word broadly as I do not know where the problem lies other than the printer does work when connected to WS2008) and am loath 'experiment' too much on the WS2003 machine. So I am trying to 'go by the book' and install 32bit drivers on the WS2008 machine. (x64 drivers installed on WS2008 already). -- Regards Tom -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- INSTALL additional drivers to 64 or 32bit systems. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1). The driver names must match. HP Color LaserJet 9500 PCL6 driver is not the same driver as HP Color LaserJet 9500 PCL 6. HP has figured this out but I do know that they will release a Universal driver for a device on x64 just to have support. It will work for the device but it's not the same driver as the HP Color LaserJet 3800. 2) Install the cross platform drivers for the print server OS. I know you are looking for 32bit drivers for XP but install the 32bit drivers for Server 2003 or Server 2008. Most vendors have written install infs for a specific operating system and quite frankly when we change things how drivers are installed in the OS, those older infs cannot be used on the new OS. 3) Read the prompt for media dialogs. The first thing that is required is the vendor inf, the next is the path to ntprint.inf of the OS architecture, if unidrv.dll or pscript5.dll are in the same path great, if not , that's the next path. If the driver inf is working correctly, the next path is the first path for the driver files. If the driver files are in a different directory, you will need to specify this path. If you extract the complete file set to the same location, you can work around the multiple prompts. -- Alan Morris Windows Printing Team Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Best regards Meinolf Weber MVP, MCP, MCTS Microsoft MVP - Directory Services My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/ Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
August 29th, 2012 5:53am

Trana010 I checked the GPO and that specific one was not configured. I'm leaving it like that. Thank you!
August 30th, 2012 9:50pm

Miya Yao, You were right regarding: Prevent Users from Installing Printer Drivers policy, let me check the driver for the XP client. I'm so really glad I received many helpful answers. The only problem now is that the search for printers in the XP client computer is slow, and also in the Win7 client I cannot uninstall the printers already installed. I'll write back when finish. Lot's of things to do... Thank you!
August 30th, 2012 10:19pm

So frustrated, I cannot install or delete any printer in the XP 32 machines using domain users accounts, (I can do it using domain admin). In the Win7 64 machine no problems. Deleted all GPOs.
September 2nd, 2012 3:13pm

I had to install them using TCP/IP locally...
September 2nd, 2012 5:24pm

Trana010 I checked the GPO and that specific one was not configured. I'm leaving it like that. Thank you! Not configured is not the same as disabled, disabled might be missleading, but just try it and you will see that it will work: "In your GPO, under Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Printers have you set thePoint and Print Restriction setting to Disabled? If not, do so."
September 19th, 2012 5:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics