Turn on IE ESC via Registry
I am integrating a certificate validation product with Windows Server 2008 which runs in a browser window. The GPO we're forced to run under lock down IE ESC so the application won't open. I'm trying to create a batch file or script that disables IE ESC for Admin & user (when logging into server as an Admin and into the app for admin purposes) just long enough so the application opens then enable ESC again. I haven't seen any problems with the app running once I can open the GUI. I'm trying some command line statements manually, that will eventually be part of the GUI opening batch file and have been able to change ESC from ON to OFF with the following reg file, using regedit.exe /s file.reg. Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{A509B1A7-37EF-4b3f-8CFC-4F3A74704073}] "IsInstalled"="0x00000000" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{A509B1A8-37EF-4b3f-8CFC-4F3A74704073}] "IsInstalled"="0x00000000" I can see the registry values change and the radio buttons change in Server Manager although I'm still not sure I have the proper syntax on the registry value. I've tried several variations most of which don't seem to do what I'm expecting. If this is the right way to turn ESC off, the reverse with using "IsInstalled"="0x00000001" changes the registry value but not the radio buttons in Server Manager nor does it appear to turn ESC on. I've read other forum posts about using a similiar file to change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zonemap IEHarden, Reg_DWORD = 1 But I don't see this changing the radio buttons or enabling ESC. 1. Can someone confirm if the reg file I created is the correct way to do this or if I'm missing some changes to additional registry values? 2. If this is correct, why doesn't it work when trying to turn ESC on? Thanks Rick
June 15th, 2011 10:37pm

Hi Rick, Does the Turn off work while Turn on not work? How did you deploy the registry change? If you use script, please let us know the content of the script. Meanwhile, you can consider adding the link to the trusted sites zone: See Computer Configuration --- Administrative Tools --- Windows Components --- Internet Explorer --- Internet Control Panel --- Security Page and then double click to the "Site to zone assignment list". Enable it, click Show, add website as value name and 1, 2, 3 or 4 as value. 1. Intranet zone 2. Trusted Sites zone 3. Internet zone 4. Restricted Sites zone Hope this helps. Regards, Bruce This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 16th, 2011 12:16pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics