Trying to update my pivot table with powershell

I'm trying to automate a Pivot Table update. I put outputs in the code so you can see what I'm trying to update and with
what values. I have a request to have them auto updated so users don't have to change shipdate and do a refresh. Can this be done with a Powershell script? I posted in PS forum and they suggested I try here..

To

$date = 2015-09-07

From

$dispshp = [DATE].[Ship Date].&[2015-09-01]

Update:

$workSheet.PivotTables(1).PivotFields("[DATE].[Ship Date]").CurrentPageName=$sdate

#Set the file path (can be a network location) $filePath = "C:\shipment.xls" #Create the Excel Object $excelObj = New-Object -ComObject Excel.Application #Make Excel visible. Set to $false if you want this done in the background $excelObj.Visible = $true #Open the workbook $workBook = $excelObj.Workbooks.Open($filePath) #Focus on the top row of the "Data" worksheet #Note: This is only for visibility, it does not affect the data refresh $workSheet = $workBook.Sheets.Item("Customer") $sdate= "{0:yyyy-MM-dd}" -f (Get-Date) # '2012-08-30 $sdate $workSheet.Select() $dispshp = $worksheet.PivotTables(1).PivotFields("[DATE].[Ship Date]").CurrentPageName #$workSheet.PivotTables(1).PivotFields("[DATE].[Ship Date]").CurrentPageName=$sdate $dispshp #Refresh all data in this workbook $workBook.RefreshALL() #Save any changes done by the refresh $workBook.Save() #Uncomment this line if you want Excel to close on its own $excelObj.Quit()

This is the error it throws...

Xcel pops up and display's message:

XML for Analysis Parser

The restriction value provided by the consumer does not match other restrictions or refers to an unkown object.

The PS error:
Exception setting "CurrentPageName": "Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC"
At C:\powershell\pivot_table_refresh.ps1:25 char:3
+   $workSheet.PivotTables(1).PivotFields("[DATE].[Ship Date]").CurrentPageName =  ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], SetValueInvocationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CatchFromBaseAdapterSetValueTI

September 9th, 2015 12:33am

THis was moved back from Analysis server section... can PS be used in this script.

Thanks ...

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 11th, 2015 5:17am

You need to do this in VBA and resolve issues against your server and query.  The request clearly does not match the table component fields correctly.  Run the same by creating a macro with the macro recorder as you perform the same table rotation manually in Excel.  This will give you the syntax for the command which can then be translated too PowerShell.

Without your setup and file we cannot determine which  component is specified incorrectly.

September 11th, 2015 7:11am

ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable1").PivotFields("[DATE].[Ship Date]"). _
        CurrentPageName = "[DATE].[Ship Date].&[2015-09-10]"
    Range("B15").Select
    ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable1").PivotCache.Refresh
 This is what the recorded macro showed when I do the process manually.

THanks.
September 11th, 2015 10:42am

Now convert it to PowerShell.

$xl=New-Object -ComObject Excel.Application
$xl.Workbooks.Open('mybook.xlsx')
$xl.ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable1").PivotFields("[DATE].[Ship Date]").CurrentPageName="[DATE].[Ship Date].&[2015-09-10]"
$xl.Range("B15").Select
$xl.ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable1").PivotCache.Refresh

September 11th, 2015 11:40am

I thought that is what I tried with;

$workSheet.PivotTables(1).PivotFields("[DATE].[Ship Date]").CurrentPageName=$sdate

September 11th, 2015 11:45am

Not exactly the same thing.

You are using an index which won't work in PowerShell. Use the table name.

$sDate needs to look like this: "[DATE].[Ship Date].&[2015-09-10]"

September 11th, 2015 11:47am

"[DATE].[Ship Date].&[$sdate]"

This worked and updated spreadsheet. Is there away to get that put to variable since I know which field
and have the date already?

Thanks for all your responses....

September 11th, 2015 12:29pm

I don't understand the question.  What needs to be put into a variable?  "$sdate" is already a variable.
September 11th, 2015 12:34pm

Above question resolved.. sorry for the confusion..  One last thing is it possible on the ship date..

to grab the most current value from cube before doing the refresh.

SO I query cube for "[DATE].[Ship Date].&[2015-09-10]" and find for current month the newest ship date then plug that into

$sdate

In most cases get previous day works but I did test for a date not in cube and as expected it did throw. Is there any easy way to handle that by finding newest value first.

Thanks for all your help...

• Marked as answer by hart60 13 hours 51 minutes ago
September 14th, 2015 9:13am

That is a new question.  How would you do it in VBA?  Start by posting int eh Excel developers forum then translate to PowerShell or use s4earch engine to find examples in any language.

September 14th, 2015 11:33am

Thanks again for all your help !!!!!!I'll do some search's and see what is out there.

September 14th, 2015 1:17pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics