Trying to restrict access to a folder for a group of users
It's been a few years since I've really worked with windows server but I'm having an issue.I have a Windows 2003 SBS.I have a group say "Sales"I have a folder on the server C:\Data\MoreDataall users get mapped to the C:\Data directory, so MoreData would be say h:\MoreDataIn the MoreData folder I want to set a permission to DENY users of the Sales group access to the MoreData folder.So I do my deal, go to the Security Tab, click Add, Enter the group name, then for each checkbox down below I select DENY.Problem is, the user still has access to that folder.If I, instead of using a group, just use a username of an employee in that group and click deny it works perfectly.This doesn't seem to be right, is it? Any ideas on how to accomplish the simple goal?
January 6th, 2010 9:22pm

Hello Repnescasb,Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum.Please check the MoreData folder's Effective Permissions and select Sales group. Do they have any permissions to access this folder?Regards,Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 7th, 2010 7:21am

you MUST NOT use Deny permissions for ACLs, this is very bad practice. Remove all groups from ACL and assign appropriate Allow (read/modify/fullcontrol/etc) permissions only for groups that are need to access to this folder.http://www.sysadmins.lv
January 7th, 2010 12:50pm

In the ACL it saysType -> DenyName -> SalesPermission -> Full ControlInherited From -> <not inherited>Apply To -> This folder, subfolders...If I click "Edit" the permissions are all Deny
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 14th, 2010 9:31pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics