Trying to change RID operations manager
Hi Im trying to change Operation master from DC 1 to DC2 and everytime I am doing that I get the following error. "The transfer of the operations master role cannot be performed because: The requested FSMO operation failed. The current FSMO holder could not be contacted" I tried forcing it through the cmd but still it didnt go through. please let me know how can i change my RID to DC 2 thank you
January 24th, 2011 10:27pm

Hi mFarazk, To get a complete overview, please upload the following output files (Compression package) to our workspace below: Netdom query fsmo > c:\fsmo.txt (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc835089(WS.10).aspx) dcdiag /v /c /d /e /s:dcname >c:\dcdiag.txt repadmin /showrepl dc* /verbose /all /intersite >c:\repl.txt ["dc* is a place holder for the starting name of the DCs if they all begin the same (if more then one DC exists)] dnslint /ad /s "DCipaddress" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321045) nltest /dsgetdc:domainname /force > c:\nltest.txt Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/ChooseTransfer.aspx?key=e328cab0-cad0-4490-aaef-e115f0531b59) Password: 6#pMuccrvZ BrentPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 24th, 2011 11:09pm

Hello, in addition to the requested information from Brent Hu post also an unedited ipconfig /all , so we can verify some basic settings. Additional add the output files to Windows Sky drive so we can also have a look on them.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
January 25th, 2011 2:05am

Hi here it the ipconfig for DC 2 and i've also e-mailed the files on the link which was posted by brent. However i couldnt get the dnslint command to work. Domain controller 2 Windows IP Configuration Host Name DC2-2K8 Primary DNS Suffix Node type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled NO WINS Proxy Enabled NO DNS Suffix Search list Internal.farazkhan.com Farazkhan.com Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection Auto configuration Enabled IPv4 Address 10.0.0.16 (preferred) Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway 10.0.0.1 DNS Server s 10.0.0.15 10.0.0.16 NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled
January 27th, 2011 2:58pm

Hi here it the ipconfig for DC 2 and i've also e-mailed the files on the link which was posted by brent. However i couldnt get the dnslint command to work. Domain controller 2 Windows IP Configuration Host Name DC2-2K8 Primary DNS Suffix internal.farazkhan.com Node type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled NO WINS Proxy Enabled NO DNS Suffix Search list Internal.farazkhan.com Farazkhan.com Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection Auto configuration Enabled IPv4 Address 10.0.0.16 (preferred) Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway 10.0.0.1 DNS Server s 10.0.0.15 10.0.0.16 NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled
January 27th, 2011 2:59pm

Hello, why is no "Primary DNS Suffix " shown in the ipconfig output from DC2-2K8? If you open the system properties, choose change settings, computername tab, change button(ignore the warning) yes, More button, is the domain name listed under "Primary DNS suffix of this computer"? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731125(WS.10).aspxBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
January 27th, 2011 3:11pm

i apologize, i've added the primarry dns suffix as well thank you
January 27th, 2011 5:52pm

Hi mFarazk, We found that the RID master is on the DC-1-2k8.internal.farazkhan.com. Please try to temporarily turn off firewall between them. Schema master DC-1-2k8.internal.farazkhan.com Domain naming master DC-1-2k8.internal.farazkhan.com PDC DC3.internal.farazkhan.com RID pool manager DC-1-2k8.internal.farazkhan.com Infrastructure master DC3.internal.farazkhan.com I received the output of Dcdiag, but it is invalid synatx, please verify that the DC Name is correct and run again. dcdiag /v /c /d /e /s:DC-1-2k8 >c:\dcdiag1.txt Meanwhile, please post also an unedited ipconfig /all from DC-1-2k8. We also found that there was an error 8457 in the ouput of repadmin. Please check the following KB 2023007 to troubleshoot the problem: How to troubleshoot Active Directory operations that fail with error 8456 or 8457: "The source | destination server is currently rejecting replication requests" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2023007 ==== KCC CONNECTION OBJECTS ============================================ Connection -- Connection name : 63f7ff47-7ad9-4342-a212-a0d5c037bf90 Server DNS name : DC2-2K8.internal.farazkhan.com Server DN name : CN=NTDS Settings,CN=DC2-2K8,CN=Servers,CN=DC1,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=internal,DC=farazkhan,DC=com Source: DC1\DC-1-2K8 ******* 23 CONSECUTIVE FAILURES since 2011-01-10 22:36:34 Last error: 8457 (0x2109): The destination server is currently rejecting replication requests. TransportType: intrasite RPC options: isGenerated ReplicatesNC: CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=internal,DC=farazkhan,DC=com Reason: StaleServersTopology Replica link has been added. ReplicatesNC: DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=internal,DC=farazkhan,DC=com Reason: StaleServersTopology Replica link has been added. ReplicatesNC: DC=internal,DC=farazkhan,DC=com Reason: StaleServersTopology Replica link has been added. ReplicatesNC: CN=Configuration,DC=internal,DC=farazkhan,DC=com Reason: StaleServersTopology Replica link has been added. ReplicatesNC: DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=internal,DC=farazkhan,DC=com Reason: StaleServersTopology Replica link has been added. enabledConnection: TRUE =========================================== BrentPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 28th, 2011 12:54am

Hi mFarazk, We found that the RID master is on the DC-1-2k8.internal.farazkhan.com. Please try to temporarily turn off firewall between them. Schema master DC-1-2k8.internal.farazkhan.com Domain naming master DC-1-2k8.internal.farazkhan.com PDC DC3.internal.farazkhan.com RID pool manager DC-1-2k8.internal.farazkhan.com Infrastructure master DC3.internal.farazkhan.com I received the output of Dcdiag, but it is invalid synatx, please verify whether the DC Name is correct and run again. dcdiag /v /c /d /e /s:DC-1-2k8 >c:\dcdiag1.txt Meanwhile, please post also an unedited ipconfig /all from DC-1-2k8. We also found that there was an error 8457 in the output of repadmin. Please check the following KB 2023007 to troubleshoot the problem: How to troubleshoot Active Directory operations that fail with error 8456 or 8457: "The source | destination server is currently rejecting replication requests" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2023007 ==== KCC CONNECTION OBJECTS ============================================ Connection -- Connection name : 63f7ff47-7ad9-4342-a212-a0d5c037bf90 Server DNS name : DC2-2K8.internal.farazkhan.com Server DN name : CN=NTDS Settings,CN=DC2-2K8,CN=Servers,CN=DC1,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=internal,DC=farazkhan,DC=com Source: DC1\DC-1-2K8 ******* 23 CONSECUTIVE FAILURES since 2011-01-10 22:36:34 Last error: 8457 (0x2109): The destination server is currently rejecting replication requests. TransportType: intrasite RPC options: isGenerated ReplicatesNC: CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=internal,DC=farazkhan,DC=com Reason: StaleServersTopology Replica link has been added. ReplicatesNC: DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=internal,DC=farazkhan,DC=com Reason: StaleServersTopology Replica link has been added. ReplicatesNC: DC=internal,DC=farazkhan,DC=com Reason: StaleServersTopology Replica link has been added. ReplicatesNC: CN=Configuration,DC=internal,DC=farazkhan,DC=com Reason: StaleServersTopology Replica link has been added. ReplicatesNC: DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=internal,DC=farazkhan,DC=com Reason: StaleServersTopology Replica link has been added. enabledConnection: TRUE =========================================== Brent Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
January 28th, 2011 8:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics