Trust Issue with new server
I had a server 2003 with AD and domain controller and about 125 computers on the domain. The 2003 server crashed. I built a new server 2008 with same ip address, name, configurations, etc. as old server. When I try to log on to new server I get message domain not available. If I log onto computer with a local account, go to control panel users and try to add a domain account, I can browse and confrim "check" an account, go on to next and select type of account (user, power user, administrator, etc.), but when I click finish I get a message "the trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed" I tried resetting the computor account in AD but did not work. I have been told that un-joining the domain and rejoining will cause issues with existing profiles, for example, if I had a domain account on local PC of JDoe, re-joining would create a second JDoe account and would be virtually a new account - none of JDoe's desktop settings documents, email etc. Is there a way to "reset" the domain account on the local PC?
July 15th, 2010 7:00am

Hello, if i understand you corret you have a single DC domain where the single DC was crashed and you don't had a backup for restore. Now you built a new domain with Windows server 2008 using the same names etc. This looks all the same as the old one BUT is a complete NEW domain where all old user accounts, computer accounts are NOT work. The SID(Security Identifier) is totally different, even if the same namings are used. "Is there a way to "reset" the domain account on the local PC?" You can't do anything on the local machine to bring the old domains user name to the new domain. You have to rejoin all computers to the new domain and will not be able to use the old profiles that easy. After adding the machine to the domain, logon with a domain user, so the local profile will be created and then logoff without changing anything. Now logon as local administrator (if Windows XP is used)and open the system properties, Advanced tab, user profiles settings button, here you should be able to copy the existing old profile to the new created one.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 15th, 2010 10:24am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics