Troubleshooting WmiPrvSE
We have a server 2008 R2 SP1 box that is seeing CPU issues with WmiPrvSE. This box has a SCOM agent and Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.6 installed. It is a Citrix XenApp and a VMware virtual machine. When I run wmic path msft_providers get hostinggroup,hostprocessidentifier,namespace,provider,user /format:list and look at the PID associated with my troublesome wmiprvse (there are a couple), I see that the provider is WmiPerfClass. I thought that maybe the System Center Management service was causing the problem so I waited until the CPU began to spike, then stopped the health service. That CPU remained high for the normal duration. What is my next step in troubleshooting? How do I associated wmiprvse and wmiperfclass with something I can fix (or disable)? Thanks.
July 30th, 2012 1:04pm

Hi, I suggest you clean boot the Windows Server 2008R2, and then see if the issue persists. This could help us determine if the issue is caused by third-party services or applications. Meanwhile, temporarily disable the Symantec Endpoint Protection and see the result. If the above doesnt work, I suggest you collect the Xperf traces to troubleshoot this CPU issue, see the details here: Using Xperf to take a Trace http://blogs.msdn.com/b/pigscanfly/archive/2008/02/16/using-xperf-to-take-a-trace.aspx Regards, MiyaMiya Yao TechNet Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 30th, 2012 10:36pm

Hi, I suggest you clean boot the Windows Server 2008R2, and then see if the issue persists. This could help us determine if the issue is caused by third-party services or applications. Meanwhile, temporarily disable the Symantec Endpoint Protection and see the result. If the above doesnt work, I suggest you collect the Xperf traces to troubleshoot this CPU issue, see the details here: Using Xperf to take a Trace http://blogs.msdn.com/b/pigscanfly/archive/2008/02/16/using-xperf-to-take-a-trace.aspx Regards, MiyaMiya Yao TechNet Community Support
July 30th, 2012 10:44pm

We have a server 2008 R2 SP1 box that is seeing CPU issues with WmiPrvSE. This box has a SCOM agent and Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.6 installed. It is a Citrix XenApp and a VMware virtual machine. When I run wmic path msft_providers get hostinggroup,hostprocessidentifier,namespace,provider,user /format:list and look at the PID associated with my troublesome wmiprvse (there are a couple), I see that the provider is WmiPerfClass. I thought that maybe the System Center Management service was causing the problem so I waited until the CPU began to spike, then stopped the health service. That CPU remained high for the normal duration. What is my next step in troubleshooting? How do I associated wmiprvse and wmiperfclass with something I can fix (or disable)? Thanks. Hello, Why "WMIPRVSE.exe process takes more CPU Usage?". A useful thread for your reference:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/7eedcbd4-2bd4-4fe4-a2e4-8500a1ba488e/Regards, Ravikumar P
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 31st, 2012 3:45am

@Miya Yao: Disabling the SEP service didn't help. I grabbed the xperf trace and I can see the wmiprvse process in the graph. Now I'm not sure how this information helps me. I'm going to install a handful of hotfixes (977357, 977589, 981314, 2280777, 2547244, 2617858, 2697479) and we'll see if they help.
August 6th, 2012 3:14pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics