Troubleshooting DFS Replication

Hello,

The scenario is as follows:

- ServerA: Windows Server 2012 R2

- ServerB: Windows Server 2012

- Replication Group: RG1

- Replicated Folder 1: RF1 - ServerA as the Primary - around 250 GB worth of data

- Replicated Folder 2: RF2 - ServerA as the Primary - around 20 GB worth of data

When I run a DFSR Report, it shows:

- Server details: ServerB

* Summary of replicated folder status:

- RF1 - Waiting for initial replication - 242 files received - 57,35% BW Saving

- RF2 - Normal - 1 file received - 13,14% BW Saving

- Server details: ServerA - everything shows as normal, no files received (I guess this is due to this server being the primary for both replicated folders).

- DFS Replication service uptime: 1h 8 minutes on both servers

Important note:

All files have been preseeded using Robocopy. Random file hashes have been checked - all were a perfect match.

CMD/PowerShell used to troubleshoot:

- dfsrdiag ReplicationState /member: ServerB - ran on ServerB

- Active inbound connections: 1

- Sending member: ServerA

- Number of updates: 110

- Total numer of inbound updates being processed: 14 (all show [downloading]; 2 appear duplicated)- Get-DfsrState -ComputerName ServerA

- 12 files listed (which would match the above considering the 2 duplicates)

- Inboud: False on all

- UpdateState: Scheduled on all

- SourceComputerName: Blank on all

Additional troubleshooting - done on both servers:

- dfsrdiag pollad

- net stop dfsr

- net start dfsr

Question:

I know that since I was unable to clone the DFSR Database, the initial synch may take a while. But is there a way for me to check if it does actually make any progres in that? Because it looks like it is not.

Thank you,

Wojciech

February 18th, 2015 11:33pm

Hi Wojciech,

>>But is there a way for me to check if it does actually make any progres in that?

Based on the description, we can refer to the suggestions provided by Caleb44 in the following thread.

DFSR - Recommended Way of Monitoring Replication Groups

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/6133dfa0-93a1-422b-9c08-5dc138aa1c19/dfsr-recommended-way-of-monitoring-replication-groups?forum=winserverfiles

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 20th, 2015 8:36am

Hi Frank,

Today I saw that both Replicated Folders are in Normal state. I ran a few tests and it seems everything is replicating fine.

Nevertheless, the thread you're referring to will greatly help me with monitoring the entire process. Many thanks for that!

Cheers,

Wojciech

February 20th, 2015 5:13pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics