Trouble with P2V'd guest on 2012 R2 Hyper-v server

Good evening,

I am hoping someone will be able to assist me with a couple of issues I've come across with moving a physical server to a hyper-v guest on a 2012 R2 host. I'm running into two different issues that have seem to make it impossible to work with the guest. Here is the background:

Had a 2008 R2 server that I used P2V to create a VHDX. Reformatted the server with 2012 R2 and installed the Hyper-V role. From there I created a new Hyper-v and used the VHDX I had created earlier. I created a NIC team with 2 NICS and have a 3rd one sitting by itself. When I created the Virtual switch I created an external network connected to the single NIC (here I am just duplicating settings for other servers that had the same role) and then configure the guest machine to connect to that external network.

Booted up the virtual machine and was able to login. Attempted to install integration services and reboot but kept getting BSOD and it just kept rebooting. Shutdown the VM and deleted it. Went back to my copy of the VHDX and recreated it with the thought that I would just RDP into it to finish the setup. However, when the server gets into windows, there is no network connection. Previously, this had the same NIC teaming configuration but the only NIC I see is the Virtual adapter, no "physical" nics appear in networking.

So, right now I have a VM with no network connection and I can't use the mouse to troubleshoot anything within the OS. Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

Thank you in advance!

Krubb

July 30th, 2015 1:43am

Hi krubb,

How you configured the NIC team, start with server 2012 we can not use the third party NIC teaming solution. Please first attach the vm to single NIC external virtual switch to narrow down the issue.

More information:

NIC Teaming in Windows Server 2012 Brings Simple, Affordable Traffic Reliability and Load Balancing to your Cloud Workloads

http://blogs.technet.com/b/privatecloud/archive/2012/06/19/nic-teaming-in-windows-server-2012-brings-simple-affordable-traffic-reliability-and-load-balancing-to-your-cloud-workloads.aspx

Im glad to be of help to you!

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 3rd, 2015 8:37am

Hi,

To understand further,

Can your Hyper-V Host see the Physical NIC? or Physical NIC is available and you have created virtual switch but your VM cannot detect it even you have attached a virtual switch. 

Sorry, a bit confuse on which NIC is missing. Please advise.

Thanks

August 5th, 2015 12:25am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics