Trouble seeing all network resources.
I have a large multisite network that used to be easy to navigate and discover, however lately that has changed. My main network is controlled by a Server 2003 machine and has 3 other server 2003 machines performing various functions along with about 50 workstations running mostly windows 7 pro, some on XP pro and one on Vista business. Then I have a seperate network connected by VPN to the main network. The second network is running server 08 with windows 7 Pro workstations. I have a third location connected by VPN as well but they are just connecting by remote desktop to the machines here at our main location. The problem I am having is that the main network (main.local) cannot browse out and see the secondary network (second.local). I used to get both networks in my browse window when I explored the entire network. I could see main and second in the list and browse to every machine. I can still ping every machine from either location and connect by remote using the IP address of each machine with no problem but the network is not resolving names properly nor is it seeing the other network when browsing. Thanks for the help.
January 31st, 2011 2:08am

Hi Qoboquru this looks like a DNS issue at first sight since you say you can ping every machine and cpnnect by remote using IP Address of each name. So what we need now is information about your DNS set up and if there are any errors being reported in event viewer and stuff like that. Just check if DNS is running, records are being updated and check for errors on evet viewer to see where the problem might be and send us some of the info you get.tech-nique
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 31st, 2011 1:32pm

I am getting the following Warning in the DNS log of the DC on the main network, Event Type: Warning Event Source: DNS Event Category: None Event ID: 4515 Date: 1/29/2011 Time: 1:53:25 PM User: N/A Computer: ******* Description: The zone corp.baxleyequipment.local was previously loaded from the directory partition MicrosoftDNS but another copy of the zone has been found in directory partition DomainDnsZones.corp.baxleyequipment.local. The DNS Server will ignore this new copy of the zone. Please resolve this conflict as soon as possible. If an administrator has moved this zone from one directory partition to another this may be a harmless transient condition. In this case, no action is necessary. The deletion of the original copy of the zone should soon replicate to this server. If there are two copies of this zone in two different directory partitions but this is not a transient caused by a zone move operation then one of these copies should be deleted as soon as possible to resolve this conflict. To change the replication scope of an application directory partition containing DNS zones and for more details on storing DNS zones in the application directory partitions, please see Help and Support. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. Data: 0000: 89 25 00 00 %.. The only other errors I am getting on the DC of the main network are some NETLOGON errors with 2 of my workstations. I am getting a couple strange NETLOGON errors on the second networks system log, Log Name: System Source: NETLOGON Date: 1/31/2011 4:32:41 PM Event ID: 5781 Task Category: None Level: Warning Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: ***** Description: Dynamic registration or deletion of one or more DNS records associated with DNS domain 'ForestDnsZones.pricesystems.local.' failed. These records are used by other computers to locate this server as a domain controller (if the specified domain is an Active Directory domain) or as an LDAP server (if the specified domain is an application partition). Possible causes of failure include: - TCP/IP properties of the network connections of this computer contain wrong IP address(es) of the preferred and alternate DNS servers - Specified preferred and alternate DNS servers are not running - DNS server(s) primary for the records to be registered is not running - Preferred or alternate DNS servers are configured with wrong root hints - Parent DNS zone contains incorrect delegation to the child zone authoritative for the DNS records that failed registration USER ACTION Fix possible misconfiguration(s) specified above and initiate registration or deletion of the DNS records by running 'nltest.exe /dsregdns' from the command prompt on the domain controller or by restarting Net Logon service on the domain controller. Event Xml: <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> <System> <Provider Name="NETLOGON" /> <EventID Qualifiers="0">5781</EventID> <Level>3</Level> <Task>0</Task> <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-01-31T22:32:41.000Z" /> <EventRecordID>81382</EventRecordID> <Channel>System</Channel> <Computer>***********</Computer> <Security /> </System> <EventData> <Data>ForestDnsZones.pricesystems.local.</Data> <Binary>2A230000</Binary> </EventData> </Event> What other info do you need? Thanks!!!!
February 1st, 2011 7:51am

Hi Please take a look at the link below, i think it addresses your issue with a solution also provided: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/867464 <----- use this link to fix the issue using the solution provided after having checked out the link below http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc735755(WS.10).aspx <----- this one shows you how to verify the problem before going on to delete a zone copy I hope this is helpful, please get back to me if you have any more problemstech-nique
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 1st, 2011 8:32am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics