Trouble joining domain
This is related to Server 2003. If this forum does not apply or won't help, please direct me to the right forum. Thank you.I am runningServer 2003 and WinXP Pro machines. I recently imaged 30 machinesoff-network, then tried to join one to thenetwork. I was able to join the domain fine, but when I tried to log in to the network, I got a "domain not available" error.Someone suggested that since the machine was imaged, the SID was the same and not unique. On this suggestion, I downloaded anSID changer tool (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897418.aspx) and ran it.Once I rebooted the machine, I attempted to join the domain. This time I got a different error message: The domain name ODS might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS. If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration. The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain ODS: The error was: "DNS name does not exist."(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR) The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.ODS Common causes of this error include the following: - The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS. - One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone: ODS. (the root zone) For information about correcting this problem, click Help.What is the correct way to get an imaged machine to join the domain? How do I fix this machine so that it will join the domain?TIA!
August 19th, 2008 5:19am

Do you really have a single label domain name? That is not a good idea.http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_Single_Label_domain_name_and_what_sort_of_issues_can_it_cause The error message is telling you that it cannot find the DNS server. Active Directory uses DNS to find the domain controller for you domain using the SRV record (that is this next bit) The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.ODSBill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 19th, 2008 10:19am

Have you tried specifying the fully qualified domain name (e.g. ods.com or whatever it is) when doing the domain join?Tony
August 20th, 2008 2:41am

Hi, As log file indicates, this issue might be related to single label domain name. By default, Windows Server 2003-based domain members, Windows XP-based domain members, and Windows 2000-based domain members do not perform dynamic updates to single-label DNS zones. To solve this issue, you may need some additional steps to modify this default behavior, so that clients will dynamically register DNS records on DNS server and locate DC using DNS. <1>: To enable an Active Directory domain member to use DNS to locate domain controllers in domains that have single-label DNS names that are in other forests, follow these steps: WARNING: As serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly, please refer to the following KB article to back up the registry before you modify it: How to back up and restore the registry in Windows http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/en-us 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. 2. Locate and then click the following subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters 3. In the right pane, locate the AllowSingleLabelDnsDomain entry. If the AllowSingleLabelDnsDomain entry does not exist, follow these steps:a. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value. b. Type AllowSingleLabelDnsDomain as the entry name, and then press ENTER.4. Double-click the AllowSingleLabelDnsDomain entry. 5. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK6. Quit Registry Editor. <2>: To allow Windows XP-based DNS client computers and Windows 2000 SP4-based DNS client computers to attempt dynamic updates of a single-label DNS zone, follow these steps: 1.Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.2.Locate and then click the following subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DnsCache\Parameters3.In the right pane, locate the UpdateTopLevelDomainZones entry. If the UpdateTopLevelDomainZones entry does not exist, follow these steps: a. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.b. Type UpdateTopLevelDomainZones as the entry name, and then press ENTER. 4.Double-click the UpdateTopLevelDomainZones entry 5.In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK6.Quit Registry Editor. More information, please visit: Information about configuring Windows for domains with single-label DNS names http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300684/en-us Hope this helps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 20th, 2008 7:10am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics