Trouble getting pages to display in search when 'Hide physical URLs from search' is checked

I am working in Sharepoint Online / O365, setting up sites with standard publishing enabled. I am using managed navigation with 'Add new pages to navigation automatically' and 'Create friendly URLs for new pages automatically' set to yes. When publishing pages I have to toggle the property 'Hide physical URLs from search' setting this to No to get my pages to appear in search results at all. But then the 'unfriendly' item URL is used, decoupling the items from navigation. How do I both get my pages to appear in search and displaying their friendly URLs?

/Henning

July 1st, 2014 11:15am

Thanks Wendy. If you read my initial description you'll see that for pages to appear in search results at all I have to set 'Hide physical URLs from search' to No. If set to Yes the pages won't show up in searches, nor in content search web parts.

Henning

Will also post on 365 forum. Thanks.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 2nd, 2014 6:07am

Thanks Wendy. If you read my initial description you'll see that for pages to appear in search results at all I have to set 'Hide physical URLs from search' to No. If set to Yes the pages won't show up in searches, nor in content search web parts.

Henning

Henning

Hi Henning,

According to your description, my understanding is that you want to display pages friendly URLs in Search Result in SharePoint 2013 Online.

For the Friendly URLs to work correctly, all Publishing Pages in your website should have the Hide physical URLs from search checkbox checked. With this checkbox checked, SharePoint 2013 Search will use the Friendly URL, rather than the physical URL, when referring to pages.

So, edit the pages properties, and select Hide physical URLs from search to make sure it is Yes. After that, do a full crawl, compare the result.

More information, please refer to the link:

http://blog.mastykarz.nl/wcm-tip-20-hide-physical-urls-search-working-managed-navigation/

In addition, as this issue is about SharePoint 2013 Online, you can also create a new thread on Office 365 forum, more experts will assist you with Office 365.

Office 365 forum:

http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/default.aspx

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Wendy

July 2nd, 2014 9:03am

Henning

July 2nd, 2014 9:07am

HENNING!

I came across your question a few days ago when I was trying to figure this out for myself, and I found a solution that works for me, and I hope it does for you too.

I put together a site collection in my dev environment, to mock up an upcoming site my team is building. I created some pages, and then I manually mapped them to managed metadata navigation terms in the Term Store Manager. I set all of the pages to Hide Physical URLs from Search, and went to test it with a CSWP... Couldn't get anything to show up.

My issue was that one of the root terms didn't have a page associated with it. So for example:

Term A -> Term B  -> Term D
                             -> Term E
            -> Term C -> Term F

Terms B - F all had pages associated to them, but Term A didn't (again, this was just for a mock up, so I overlooked it). So my search crawler was presumably trying to crawl Term A, finding no associated page with it, choking, and then skipped all of the child terms.

So I created a page for Term A, ran a full crawl, everything showed up just the way I expected it to. Not sure if this will help you, but this fixed my issue. Hope it helps!

July 15th, 2014 5:40pm

HENNING!

I came across your question a few days ago when I was trying to figure this out for myself, and I found a solution that works for me, and I hope it does for you too.

I put together a site collection in my dev environment, to mock up an upcoming site my team is building. I created some pages, and then I manually mapped them to managed metadata navigation terms in the Term Store Manager. I set all of the pages to Hide Physical URLs from Search, and went to test it with a CSWP... Couldn't get anything to show up.

My issue was that one of the root terms didn't have a page associated with it. So for example:

-> Term E
            -> Term C -> Term F

Terms B - F all had pages associated to them, but Term A didn't (again, this was just for a mock up, so I overlooked it). So my search crawler was presumably trying to crawl Term A, finding no associated page with it, choking, and then skipped all of the child terms.

So I created a page for Term A, ran a full crawl, everything showed up just the way I expected it to. Not sure if this will help you, but this fixed my issue. Hope it helps!

HENNING!

-> Term E
            -> Term C -> Term F

HENNING!

-> Term E
            -> Term C -> Term F

HENNING!

-> Term E
            -> Term C -> Term F

July 15th, 2014 8:40pm

The issue was actually defined as a bug and a fix should now have been released.

Henning

August 4th, 2014 8:21am

The issue was actually defined as a bug and a fix should now have been released.

Henning

Henning

Henning

August 4th, 2014 11:21am

Can you please let me know whether this is fixed with SP1 or does it come with any other CU...
August 20th, 2014 3:50pm

This is a SharePoint Online issue. SPs and CUs don't apply.

I don't know if this is a problem with on premises installs.

Best regards
Henning

August 20th, 2014 4:08pm

Hi,

We are facing this issue in "on premise Installation". One thing to note here is it works perfectly in QUALITY and not in PROD.... The only difference in configuration between the two farms is that "STATE SERVICE" is not assiciated with Publihing web application in PROD...

Regards,

Muthu

August 20th, 2014 5:17pm

Hi,

Could you please explain what you mean by "state service is not associated with publishing web"? You mean the web site is a publishing site? How do you associate a service with a web, never come across that before.

T

January 22nd, 2015 1:43am

Hi Henning,

Mind elaborating on the bug/fix if you know that it was released?

Thanks.

January 22nd, 2015 1:44am

Microsoft has identified this to be an issue with Basic Authentication on a Web Application, which has the metadata service application associated, and using the friendly urls for term store navigation. The crawler never calls the web service called "GetAllFriendlyUrls", as a result the friendly urls are missing fro mthe crawl log and the search results. No workaround as of now.
February 17th, 2015 4:01pm

Microsoft has identified this to be an issue with Basic Authentication on a Web Application, which has the metadata service application associated, and using the friendly urls for term store navigation. The crawler never calls the web service called "GetAllFriendlyUrls", as a result the friendly urls are missing fro mthe crawl log and the search results. No workaround
June 9th, 2015 5:59am

Someone buy this man a beer.  Or bacon, as he prefers.
August 28th, 2015 6:58pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics