Total Storage Size Not Updating in VMM2012 Sp1 UR1

I have VMM 2012 SP1 (Upgraded from RTM) Managing a 7 Node 2008 R2 SP1 Cluster, all at WMF 3.0 with Hyper-V hotfix. I use Powershell, VMM and Excel to create reports on storage and memory consumption for an assortment of clouds/tenants.

I recently added a pre-exisiting virtual machine to VMM that had 2 Dynamicaly Expanding VHDs that both had space available to compact. After migrating it to the cluster (prior to compacting) the full size of the VHDs was displayed (~300GB). I ran a compact and the total size and acording to Windows Exporer it went from 300 GB to about 120GB, but in VMM it remained at 300GB. I refreshed, migrated, restarted, recompacted, waited over 24 hours and nothing changed and there are no errors in my job logs, but the size remained at ~300GB. What finally fixed it was creating a checkpoint and immediately removing the checkpoint. Then I realised that no Virtual machines are updating their size, or have been updating their size since the upgrade. I have another VM that shows 0.01 GB used in VMM when in Windows Explorer it shows 109GB. another that shows 730GB but is now actually at 780GB. So creating and removing checkpoints for 200+ running virtual machines is not an option.

This means quotas aren't being enforced properly and my reports arent acurate, which is incredibly bad for me.

In VMM2012 RTM this wasnt a problem as numbers would change at least on a daily basis, which is my reporting period. Now, the storage numbers on my reports barely change.

February 14th, 2013 11:35pm

I'm experiencing the exact same problem. Any solutions to this problem?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 27th, 2013 12:19pm

I spoke with the System Center Product Support team and it was elevated all the way to the product team as the support team could reproduce it in their environment. I was informed that this was by design (for performance reasons) and that there was no information as to when, or if it would be corrected. It was also suggested that I setup integration with SCOM for reporting on this information.

I haven't had a chance to fully test VMM 2012 R2 to see if the problems still exists. I'll see if I can setup a test lab but I may not have time, and given issues this list of known issues (where it's not listed), I'm not looking forward to it. If you get a chance to test out the VMM 2012 R2 beta please let me know your findings.

September 30th, 2013 8:22pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics