Timeout when remote debugging

Hi, 

I'm trying to debug stored procedures on a 2008R2 instance from SSMS 2014 but I'm getting a timeout error after setting a breakpoint and pressing F11. 

On the server/instance I'm connect to I've checked the Windows firewall and it does not appear to be blocking within the domain, in fact the Windows firewall is off.  I've checked with systems team and no other firewalls are in operation (they think). 

I can execute procedures on this server from SSMS no problems, just not debug them.  Does the debugger use a different port? 

I've followed this example to configure the Firewall using this link

Any ideas. 

April 24th, 2015 10:41am

Hi The real Slartibartfast,

Which example are you following? When I open the link you attached, it points to your thread.

According to your description, you get timeout error when remote debugging. Have you checked the Windows Firewall configuration on your client?

When we debug a remote instance in SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) client, we need to enable the program and port exceptions using the Windows Firewall Control Panel application on both computers.

On the computer that is running SSMS, in Windows Firewall, specify the following information:
Add TCP port 135 to the exceptions list.
Add program ssms.exe (SQL Server Management Studio) to the exceptions list.

On the computer that is running SQL Server 2008 R2, TCP port 135 and program sqlservr.exe sholud be added in Windows Firewall when Firewall is on. Also UDP port 4500 and UDP port 500 should be added to Windows Firewall if the domain policy requires network communications to be done through IPsec.

In addition, only members of the sysadmin fixed server role are allowed to debug in SQL Server, please ensure that you have granted sysadmin permission to your account in SQL Server.

Reference:
Transact-SQL Debugger for SQL Server 2008 Part 2
Configuring the Transact-SQL Debugger

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 26th, 2015 10:36pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics