Time de-sync
Hello,I am facing with a problem related to time synchronization in a Windows 2k3 domain.Here are the facts:--our infrastructure is based on VMWare ESX.--we have 2 DCs W2k3--the PDC Emulator is the time server connected to *.pool.ntp.org.The problem is that several times per day the clock is changed without any reason. The clock is de-sync on the other DC, but is back as soon as we run net time /set or restart W32tm.After a while the other DC is having the clock messed up and the story is repeating over and over again.We checked the time on ESX server and is OK, cos they are in sync with the PDC Emulator. In VMWareTools the option to Update time from host is UNCHECKED.Any help or idea/sugestion will be strongly appreciated.Thanks
March 5th, 2010 10:49am

It is not uncommon for virtualized hardware to get a clock skew. Vmware recommends synchronising time with the VMware host. The VMware host should then use an external time source to keep its time correct.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 5th, 2010 4:07pm

It is not uncommon for virtualized hardware to get a clock skew. Vmware recommends synchronising time with the VMware host. The VMware host should then use an external time source to keep its time correct. thanks for you answer.Well, the thing is that this problems started on 24th of february and we never had issues in the past. I cant imagine what was the event which triggered this issue.
March 5th, 2010 4:42pm

Hi ,There are timekeeping mechanisms that vmware suggest you to follow such as tick couting and tickless timekeeping . the host computers follow the time interrupts , so when there is a delay in time interrupt , betweent the hardware and the virtual host , you would experience difficulties managing the time. And the above statement is linked to CPU, if the host CPU is processing many applications , then the processing of the interrupts would be delayed.So if i am not wrong VM ware provides the functionality of communicating with network time servers by providing the VM ware CMOS RTC , virtual APIC timer , which inturn performs the similar action of physical CMOSOne test is to test the OS clock vs TOD ( time of day ) which your CMOS RTC should handle.Second option is to turn on audit logging for timekeeping in VMWare . For further support i would suggest you to post your query in vmware forums.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 17th, 2010 7:57am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics