Thumbnails Cache - Cache Very Large
Guys, I noticed on my RDS servers (we are using roaming profiles) thats ome of the profiles are quite large. After some investigation i notice the following; there are numerous thumbcachexxx.db files at the following location: AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer These files can be several hundred Mb at times. I'm thinking of excluding them from the romaing profile. Any negative effect of doing this?
July 20th, 2012 9:49am

Hi Shocko, You can delete the db file. But it will use intensive CPU processing again when the user opens a folder which has lots of images. If you are ok with that you can remove the db files from the profiles. Windows stores thumbnails of graphics files, and certain document and movie files, in the Thumbnail Cache file, including the following formats: JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG, TIFF, AVI, PDF, PPTX, DOCX, HTML and many others. Its purpose is to prevent intensive CPU processing and load times when a folder that contains a large number of files is set to display each file as a thumbnail. More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_thumbnail_cache Regards, Rafic If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 20th, 2012 10:13am

Hi Shocko, You can delete the db file. But it will use intensive CPU processing again when the user opens a folder which has lots of images. If you are ok with that you can remove the db files from the profiles. Windows stores thumbnails of graphics files, and certain document and movie files, in the Thumbnail Cache file, including the following formats: JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG, TIFF, AVI, PDF, PPTX, DOCX, HTML and many others. Its purpose is to prevent intensive CPU processing and load times when a folder that contains a large number of files is set to display each file as a thumbnail. More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_thumbnail_cache Regards, Rafic If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
July 20th, 2012 10:13am

Thanks , I am using XenApp 6.0 with UPM installed so I might just disable the syncing back of these files ot the roaming profile. I might even look at disabling thumbnail view via group policy.
July 20th, 2012 10:21am

Hi Shocko, Here is the GPO way: Go to "User configuration" -> "Administrative Templates" -> "Windows Components" -> "Windows Explorer" -> Turn off the caching of thumbnails in hidden thumbs.db files. Hope this helps.Regards, Rafic If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
July 20th, 2012 10:30am

Hi Shocko, Here is the GPO way: Go to "User configuration" -> "Administrative Templates" -> "Windows Components" -> "Windows Explorer" -> Turn off the caching of thumbnails in hidden thumbs.db files. Hope this helps.Regards, Rafic If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
July 20th, 2012 10:30am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics