Three State Monitor Alert Notification Warning to Critical

If what I have read is true SCOM 2012 R2 (along with other versions) does not realert or send another notification when the health state changes from warning to critical when using a three state monitor.

My question is, other than creating two separate monitors one for warning and one for critical how does the community get around this?

It seems to me that this would be a huge disadvantage of SCOM and three state monitors. I understand that when you get an alert you should deal with it even if it is a warning but what happens if you cant deal with it right away and you want an alert/notification email when it goes to critical.

September 3rd, 2015 5:22pm

The is the SCOM design. One of the workaround may be
1) Create an aggregate monitor which contains only this three-state monitor.
2) This monitor does not generate alert when in critical state
3) Create a subscription
Roger
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 4th, 2015 1:17am

Hi

This is not strictly true. Most of the "out of the box" 3 state monitors do not generate an alert for warning. There is just a health state change. When the monitor goes from warning to critical you do then get an alert and a notification. I try to keep it this way. You can always use daily reports to show objects in unhealthy state so that they get a heads up of possible future issues.

If you do want separate alerts for warnings and critical thresholds then separate monitors are required.

Regards

Graham

September 6th, 2015 4:59pm

All,

Since we seem to agree that separate alerts are required for an alert notification when the state is  warning and then changes warning to critical my question is why is it designed this way?

I guess more so how can I explain to management that yes there will be an alert notification at a warning threshold but if the critical threshold gets reached there will not be another alert notification (unless I create two monitors)?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 8th, 2015 10:48am

We can't answer the "why" in terms of motivation behind this - it was designed nearly 8 years ago and we all have to live with it (and yes, I agree 100% that it doesn't sense). It simply isn't go to change now. It isn't a new discussion - this is from 5 years ago.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/d46f0dbf-16ed-4355-b68f-02404eb73bdd/notification-not-working-for-three-state-monitor?forum=operationsmanagergeneral

Technically why - when a monitor goes healthy --> warning --> critical and you have configured it to alert on warning state then the alert gets created at this time. It is the alert creation that kicks off any notification. The critical alert is not a new alert. It is a state change of the original alert. Hence it does not kick off any notification.

Regards

Graham 

September 8th, 2015 2:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics