Thinking about trying out SCSM

We currently use SCCM 2012 SP1 but  haven't really given much of a thought about the rest of SC the suite as most of our servers are Linux based and a lot of the functionality would be lost. I have been looking lately at SCSM lately, however, because of it's capability to e used as a ticketing system, knowledge base, and change control, and the ability to tie it into AD and SCCM. There are a few points that I am not clear on however and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does the web portal (ticketing system, knowledge base, etc.) require Sharepoint? If so, is that an included license? What about Exchange, is it required for this functionality, or can we use our current Linux solution? Can SCSM use the same instance of SQL that SCCM uses or will it need it's own server for that? If it needs it's own SQL, what about licensing?

Any other gotchas I'm missing?

Thanks for any insights!

December 18th, 2013 10:54am

Does the web portal (ticketing system, knowledge base, etc.) require Sharepoint? If so, is that an included license?

You may use Sharepoint Foundation, free.

What about Exchange, is it required for this functionality, or can we use our current Linux solution?

You need Exchange to send notification and Receive Incidents by eMails

Can SCSM use the same instance of SQL that SCCM uses or will it need it's own server for that?

Yes you may use the same SQL Server, as long as it comply with the minimum required

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 19th, 2013 11:12am

Thats not entire true that you need exchange. You need an SMTP-server to send the email from SCSM but that can be a normal postfix for example. 

With the incoming mail this can be an issue. There is an exchange connector but it is some ways around it. In my case we have Exchange but we made our own "connector" using Orchestrator to parse the emails and get them into correct workitem.  It's abit more complicated then just using the exchange connector.

December 19th, 2013 12:56pm

So it sounds like Exchange is not required exactly but makes it much easier. Would hosted Exchange be an option, or does it need to be local?
December 19th, 2013 2:48pm

When we tried the exchange connector we used a hosted exchange. It also works with office 365.
December 19th, 2013 2:59pm

Thats not entire true that you need exchange. You need an SMTP-server to send the email from SCSM but that can be a normal postfix for example. 

With the incoming mail this can be an issue. There is an exchange connector but it is some ways around it. In my case we have Exchange but we made our own "connector" using Orchestrator to parse the emails and get them into correct workitem.  It's abit more complicated then just using the exchange connector.

December 19th, 2013 8:53pm

When we tried the exchange connector we used a hosted exchange. It also works with office 365.
December 19th, 2013 10:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics