ThinClient Set Up
Hello Everyone, I work for a local NHS Ambulance Service in the United Kingdom. I have just moved into my new property and want to setup a ThinClient network as a project. I want to use upto 10 ThinClient pc's. I want to turn my old Dell Optiplex SX260 with Windows XP Pro into a Terminal Server. (I brought this from ebay but would change it to a small tower if needed with a extra hard drive instead of external one. if best suited) It has a 40gb hard drive witch will be used for software only.I wil be then useing an external Hard Drive as a Storage only, i.e. photos, music, movies,documents etc.I also want to use my network to remote access to my home from my office or Windows XP Webbook, where i can use my documents and music.Can this be done and what will i need to complete this task. And at what cost rufly.The main reason i want this type of network is that idontlike big bulky pc's and ihavent the room in my house for them. I dont usea pc for gamingso dont bother me that a remotelink do not have cd drives etc.
May 19th, 2009 4:15pm

hi there, As fas as networking is concernet you need to follow the conventional windows routing and remote access servers along with ISA firewall for additional security. when using RRAS you can set up an VPN connection from home to your office or vice versa to access your clients. You need to have public IP purchased in order to connec to your home clients . In order to purchase thin clients i would recommend WYSE thin clients which are really good compared to any other thin clients in market. and i see that WYSE provides lot of feature and security enhancements for windows xp clients. for more information i would prefer you to login to http://www.wyse.com/You can contact the thin client vendor to check with the price which we have no idea .hope the information is helpful.sainath Attending Microsoft Teched 2009
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 19th, 2009 4:48pm

Thanks for the info.If i put Windows Terminal Server 2003/2008 on a Dell Optiplex Desktop. I beleave i can use the allready installed software to acess a terminal (Thin Client). Do i still have to buy Cals for the Thin Clients as they are Remote Services. I am not sure if the Thin Clients use Cals unlike a standard pc/laptop.I no it probably sounds like a silly question to ask but i am new to this type of work and its a project thats startin to get on my nerves
May 20th, 2009 12:36am

Hi, Before purchasing any anything, please read the following article to get familiar with Windows Terminal Service. Getting Started with Terminal Server http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759571.aspx Checklists: Setting up Terminal Server http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc783746(WS.10).aspx After reading all documents, try to evaluate if Terminal Service is what you need. Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 20th, 2009 9:06am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics