There is no format handler able to parse documents of the format 'png'

When crawling our new Sharepoint 2013 farm or crawling fileshares we get the following message for multiple PNG files that seemingly can't be crawled:

Item format unsupported. ( Error parsing document 'http://intranet.com/path/.../filename.png'. There is no format handler able to parse documents of the format 'png'.; ; SearchID = B57DCD82-31D2-4417-B013-2110A8049E0E )

Item format unsupported. ( Error parsing document 'file://fileserver/Users/folder1/folder2/folder3/.../filename.png'. There is no format handler able to parse documents of the format 'png'.; ; SearchID = 21D40AAD-63AD-4BC7-B5A3-2BF078282BF1 )

When looking at the ULS logs i only see "generic" Error 301003 messages logged for each png file.

However there are a lot of PNG files that do show up within the search results without an issue (from Sharepoint and the fileserver). We currently have set the Local Sharepoint Sites content source to continious crawling. The content source responsible for the fileserver has no crawl schedule but we had a Full Crawl run several times. The file server content source also uses a Crawl Rule with a different content access account.

Any help would be appreciated since I'm running out of ideas and Google isn't much of a help this time (at least not for me).

Thanks in advance!

May 29th, 2015 12:13pm

Hello Simon,

I did a test again, and got the same message as you posted:

However, when I search PNG, the results showed the PNG files as below:

Please confirm that if you can search the PNG file which appears in the warning message. If yes, we can safely ignore the warning messages. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 4th, 2015 9:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics