The user's password must be changed before logging on the first time

Please, i have been battling with the message above and i have read similar postings all to no avail. I am trying to run Windows Server 2008 R2 in "Sun's Virtual box" and everything went well until i was prompted to enter a password. This is just my first installation, and the virtual box is not password enabled. The host operating system is windows 7 ultimate 64bit which is password enabled but i have entered the password used for the host operating system and i will get this message "Unable to update the password. The value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity of history requirement for the domain". The Windows Server was labelled "DC1" in the Sun Virtual box. I tried creating a password reset disk and i got the message "The password you entered is incorrect for this user account. Please try again". At this point i don't know what else to do. Please, can anyone point me in the right direction.....please.

Thank you.

June 9th, 2010 4:26pm

The password policy of the guest will not be impacted by the host machine (assuming both machines are not in the same domain or a part of a workgroup).

The default security policy will require you to enter a password that is alphanumeric, so the password you are trying is probably too simple. Something like this will work Passw0rd.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 9th, 2010 6:43pm

Hello,

please use the password complexity requirements to choose a password longer then 7 characters:

• English uppercase characters (A through Z).
  • English lowercase characters (a through z).
  • Base 10 digits (0 through 9).
  • Non-alphabetic characters (for example, !, $, #, %).
  • Also NOT more then 3 characters from the username
  • June 10th, 2010 8:46am

Thanks Aaron.Parker, i had to try a series of passwords and one of them did the trick. Thanks for your valuable advice.
    June 12th, 2010 1:30am

Thanks Meinolf Weber, the suggestion you gave to me proved very valuable. I was able to resolve the issue. Thank you once again for your time.
    • Marked as answer by jhazzy Saturday, June 12, 2010 1:33 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by jhazzy Saturday, June 12, 2010 1:33 AM
    June 12th, 2010 1:32am

On July 1st we will be making Windows Server 2008 R2 General forum read only. After receiving a lot of feedback from the community, it was decided that this forum is a duplication and therefore redundant of the General Forum. So, until July 1st, we will start asking customers to redirect their questions to the General Forum. On June 11th, CSS engineers will move any new threads to the General Forum.

Please post a reply to the announcement thread if you have any feedback on this decision or the process. You can also email WSSDComm@microsoft.com.

June 29th, 2010 3:09am

Thank you very much for "Passw0rd"  :))))
    March 1st, 2012 9:53am

The message can appear because you have checked "User must change password at next logon" when you have set the password for admin account. Uncheck this option, and set a new password and will work.

March 7th, 2015 6:36am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics