The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database

Hi every one,

I'm very new new at this. I'm try to deploy a report model and got this message. I have no idea what its going on about.

Can anyone help me?

Aku

------------------------------

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content. Check the documentation for more information. (rsReportServerDisabled) ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.RPCException: The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content. Check the documentation for more information. (rsReportServerDisabled) ---> System.Exception: The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content. Check the documentation for more information. (rsReportServerDisabled) ---> System.Exception: The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content. Check the documentation for more information. (rsReportServerDisabled) ---> System.Exception: The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content. Check the documentation for more information. (rsReportServerDisabled) ---> System.Exception: The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content. Check the documentation for more information. (rsReportServerDisabled) ---> System.Exception: Bad Data. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80090005)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.DataProtection.ProtectData(Byte[] unprotectedData, String tag)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.ConnectionManager.ConnectStorage()
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.Storage.NewStandardSqlCommand(String storedProcedureName)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.DBInterface.GetAllConfigurationInfo()
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.RSService.GetSystemProperties(Property[] requestedProperties)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportingService.GetSystemProperties(Property[] Properties, Property[]& Values)
at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportingService.GetSystemProperties(Property[] Properties, Property[]& Values) (System.Web.Services)

BUTTONS:

OK

May 25th, 2007 3:17pm

Hello,

Do you happen to have a backup of your encryption key? If not, follow these steps:

Open Reporting Services Configuration Manager

Connect to your RS server

Select 'Encryption Keys' from the left pane

Press the 'Delete' button to get rid of your encrypted content

After doing this, you will need to re-set the connection strings and stored credentials on your reports.

Also, I'd be sure to make a backup of the encryption key afterwards.

If you do have a backup, press the 'Restore'button instead of the 'Delete' button.

Hope this helps.

Jarret

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 25th, 2007 5:28pm

Hi Jarret,

thank you for your reply, I will try this tomorrow from the office as I don't have sql server on my home machine. will let you know how I got on.

Aku

May 30th, 2007 9:09am

Hi Jarret,

thanks again. this seems to have worked. I don't understand it all properly yet but I was expecting a IE window to open with something to see and that didn't happend. It did day in the bottom left conner that deployment secceded. I am still going through the tutorial so when I get more confused I which I gurantee will happend, will post another message.

for now, thank you very much.

Aku

May 31st, 2007 9:31am

Thanks. This solved the problem I was having.
September 11th, 2009 6:41pm

Thanks. This helped me.
October 19th, 2009 2:06pm

Helped me aswell. Cheers !
November 2nd, 2009 10:07am

It is helpful to me.

Thanks.

November 17th, 2009 3:40am

HI Jarret,

I have same issue...
I deleted the encrypted keys.

earlier i havnt deployed any report to this reportserver.

but when m accessing the reportmanager and reportviewer still getting the same error message.

Wht should i do?

Waiting for reply...

Thanks & Regards,
Eshwar
January 7th, 2010 12:53pm

Thank You this solved my problem.
January 11th, 2010 8:32pm

Thanx Ja.
it helped me
Regards
Sahu

www.appshark.com

My MSVBusinessCard Link

https://www.mcpvirtualbusinesscard.com/VBCServer/81f2e667-1d54-43b7-abc3-9fb4660a0d46/interactivecard

February 26th, 2010 5:20am

Thank UUUUUUUU :)...It helped me too
March 25th, 2010 6:49pm

Thank You so much... It helped me as well...
April 9th, 2010 2:26pm

It helped me. Thanks a bunch.

I do not understand seemingly as simple thing as this (once some one knows where to look for), why can not Microsoft provide proper documentation or links from the exception message box it showed us useless message as below...

-----------------

http://www.microsoft.com/products/ee/transform.aspx?EvtSrc=Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ErrorStrings&EvtID=rsReportServerDisabled&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server+Reporting+Services&ProdVer=10.50.1600.1

<form id="Form1" action="transform.aspx?EvtSrc=Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ErrorStrings&EvtID=rsReportServerDisabled&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server+Reporting+Services&ProdVer=10.50.1600.1" enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded" method="post">  
December 5th, 2010 1:23pm

Thanks lot..! it works
December 15th, 2010 6:23am

Thanks! It worked for me.
December 22nd, 2010 9:08pm

Thanks!

It worked for me!!!

December 22nd, 2010 9:08pm

Hi Jarret,

Thank you very much for the solution.

Suresh

• Proposed as answer by Suresh Gudur Monday, January 31, 2011 3:58 PM
January 31st, 2011 3:38pm

Hi,

I am new to this.

Can you pls explain what do you mean by :

re-set the connection strings and stored credentials on your reports.

Can pls explain me the steps?

May 20th, 2011 10:42am

Hi All,

Finally solved...

• Proposed as answer by abs_dear Saturday, May 21, 2011 6:05 AM
May 21st, 2011 6:05am

Hi, thanks a lot!

I've tried to use instructions provided here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842421, but faced issues on the very first point, because system wouldn't export the key saying "Access denied".

Your sollution works perfectly, and is very easy to use.

May 25th, 2011 11:23am

Wow that helped me too.

Thanks

Kumar

July 11th, 2011 4:36pm

Great..really helpful....
July 19th, 2011 6:12am

Hi abs_dear,

Please explain what you did to "re-set the connection strings and stored credentials on your reports"?

As I am now at that step.

Stewart

August 15th, 2011 6:13am

thanks
August 30th, 2011 1:00pm

Hi Jarret,

Please explain what you did to "re-set the connection strings and stored credentials on your reports"?

I am not getting what to do in that step.

-Ayaz

September 14th, 2011 2:40pm

Thanks., it helps!
May 10th, 2012 8:16am

This helped me too. Thanks.

July 3rd, 2012 2:16pm

Thanks, from spain !!

August 20th, 2012 11:31am

It worked like charm.. Thanks a lot from India.
September 25th, 2012 10:30am

Red

October 18th, 2012 8:04pm

Worked for me! 

Do not forget to go in to SCCM -> Administration -> Accounts   and re-enter the credentials for the account you use to query SQL or it will not work properly.

August 12th, 2013 8:02pm

\o/ thank you \o/
February 26th, 2014 1:37pm

This worked for my set up. Thank you
May 15th, 2014 4:44pm

Hi Guys!

My team mate just did 2 steps to make it work.

1.)Open Reporting Services Configuration Manager

Connect to your RS server

Select 'Encryption Keys' from the left pane

Press the 'Delete' button to get rid of your encrypted content

Note: Check if there is a existing encryption keys else if non proceed...

2.) In SCCM 2012 configmgr-monitoring-reporting-reports-reportoption tab type/enter the reporting

point server.

The report is showing in WEb browser and SCCM Report now...

October 15th, 2014 1:55pm

GO to >Reporting Services Configuration Manager >Press Connect > Go to  Encryption Keys page >Press the 'Delete' button .

Run Browser >Run as Administrator > Type the URL and GO .

August 11th, 2015 12:12am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics

Details
ID: rsReportServerDisabled                                             
Source: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ErrorStrings                                             

We're sorry
There is no additional information about this issue in the Error and Event Log Messages or Knowledge Base databases at this time. You can use the links in the Support area to determine whether any additional information might be available elsewhere.