The operation is not allowed when you have a Standalone installation.

I have a stand-alone installation of SharePoint 2013.  Ran into a problem when the Content Source became stuck on Pause.  I reset the index and tried to resume the crawl but it did not work.  So I deleted the SSA and re-created it with no issue.  But I run into a problem when creating new search components:  

New-SPEnterpriseSearchAdminComponent : The operation is not allowed when you have a Standalone installation.

Is there a way to get around this?

July 29th, 2013 5:06pm

No, there is not a way around this. All components are installed by default on the server running central administration. Anytime you want to change the topology of search it requires you to have additional servers. Since you have installed SharePoint as a standalone farm then it is impossible to add additional servers. Therefore, the topology cannot be altered.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj862356

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 29th, 2013 11:00pm

Ok, what are my options since I deleted the SSA and now can't add any search components to the topology?   When I go to the Search Administration site in CA I see:

System Status

Administrative Status:  The search service is not able to connect to the machine that hosts the administration component.  Verify that the administration component 'GUID' in search application 'Search SA' is in a good state and try again.

Search Application Topology

Unable to retrieve topology component health states.  This may be because the admin component is not up and running.

July 30th, 2013 2:02pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics