The logon process stops responding in Windows Server 2008 R2
Okay, so I am seeing this behaviour on Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation. It is running the Terminal Server role and is configured as a DC. The problem: The server starts normally (seems to take usual time to get to CRTL-ALT-DEL). SMB shares can be accessed okay and services running on the server seem to work just fine (IIS, and it also running an IPPBX which works flawlessly ). Issue: Attempting to logon to the console or a remote desktop session results in the following: - The GUI is frozen (eg START button may still looked pressed, and task bar clock stops at the time you attempt to logon.) - The mouse is responsive as normal. - you can no longer access server shares -services on the server stop responding (IIS) The is no way to shut down the server normally.- you have to force reset. - On startup, Windows reports 'system not shut down properly and prompts for - repair, safe mode, etc. - This tells me the system kernel may have still been alive. What we have tried: Boot into SafeMode. Check logs- nothing obvious. Have recently updated HPSUM to latest pack- all updates successful prior to this problem. I have seen KB2578159 - Logon process stops responding in Windows Server 2008 R2 and I have downloaded it... but Have been unable to apply this hotfix since you cannot do that in safemode. Does anyone have any ideas how we can apply this hotfix, or of any other useful troubleshooting tips?
September 10th, 2012 12:49am

Hi http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2578159 If the answer was True Please Mark As Answer. If the answer was Helpful Please Vote As Helpful. Good Luck
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2012 1:14am

Hi, I don't mean to be rude, but did you read my OP? I mention I have already downloaded KB2578159 and cannot apply it. Any further ideas? Thanks
September 10th, 2012 1:16am

Hi Dear friend Unplug the network cable and logon locally if you can If you couldn't tell me Good Luck
September 10th, 2012 1:22am

Unfortunately I have already tried that trick without success. Unplugging the network cable has no effect on the problem. CTRL-ALT-DEL is okay, but after you submit the correct credentials - the GUI hangs. Safe-mode is okay. I have already tried disabling all non Microsoft services+startup in MSCONFIG and this didn't help either. Server platform is an HP ML110 G6 Proliant.
September 10th, 2012 1:26am

Hi Try by another computer connect to computer managment. Start--->computer---->right click--->manage---->Action--->connect to another computer Disable most services on windows server except logon service, then try logon If you could connect tell me please. Good Luck
September 10th, 2012 1:36am

Yes I can use computer management to manage this server. I can see the running services, but when I attempt to connect to the event viewer I get an error "The RPC Server is unavailable". I have also tried connecting to the event log directly from eventvwr.msc (and set user to correct domain admin account) but I still receive the same RPC Server unavailable error. However I can still connect to the server shares and can copy and open files without problems. But I cannot logon to the console or to any Remote Desktop session- it just hangs the server. Fresh out of ideas.
September 10th, 2012 4:32am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics