The easiest options to import a CSV file to a SQL Azure table

What are the easiest options to import a csv file into SQL azure? 

I need to automate the process.

I am fluent with coding, but I expect that this particular task can be done without custom coding, or minimal PowerShell scripts.

Thank you

• Edited by amx2012 Wednesday, September 09, 2015 7:30 PM
September 9th, 2015 7:27pm

I'd look into utilizing SSIS for this kind of work. You'd run SSIS either on premise or in an Azure VM. If you can dedicate a small VM locally, that's probably your path of least resistance unless you're talking about a ton of data where data uploads over the internet would be a constraint.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 12th, 2015 1:18pm

SSIS is too much for such small scenario. SSIS cost is relatively high too.

I was hoping there is something in SSDT that can do this?

Or any powershell command?

September 12th, 2015 2:04pm

Parsing files is never a trivial thing - there are always "gotcha's" that bite you. SSIS can help you with those but if you don't want to use something like that, you can always write a bit of code. Consider some open source option (File Helpers, for example) or even a solution like this (combined with the Azure SDK to interface to the tables) can go a long ways. If you're okay with some code but don't want to invent it yourself, check this out.

I'm not very familiar with SSDT so I can't speak to that, sorry.

(Clearly, I'm coming from a dev perspective here. The above code would be easier to implement than anything much more complicated than a few Google searches. And if you can find something that only takes 2-5 lines of C# w/ a third-party DLL, then you can probably feasibly do that within PowerShell as well although I'm not an expert in that.)

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 12th, 2015 3:25pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics