The database 'ASPNETDB.MDF' cannot be opened because it is version 655. This server supports version 612 and earlier.

Hi,

I'm receiving the following error:

The database 'C:\USERS\MOHSEN\DESKTOP\SCORM\APP_DATA\ASPNETDB.MDF' cannot be opened because it is version 655. This server supports version 612 and earlier. A downgrade path is not supported.
Could not open new database 'C:\USERS\MOHSEN\DESKTOP\SCORM\APP_DATA\ASPNETDB.MDF'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted.
An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file C:\Users\Mohsen\Desktop\SCORM\App_Data\aspnetdb.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share.

What's the problem?

May 8th, 2010 6:39pm

You are trying to restore SQL Server 2008 database backup  on SQL Server 2005, downgrade version is not supported.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 8th, 2010 10:14pm

You cannot backup/restore or detach/attach from a higher version to a lower version.

1. Use database publishing wizard to get out the script for all objects in 2008 db

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=56E5B1C5-BF17-42E0-A410-371A838E570A&displaylang=en
http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/archive/2007/10/15/sql-database-publishing-wizard-is-now-in-visual-studio-orcas.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb895179.aspx

2. Create a new empty database in your 2005 instance .
3. Execute the above generated script in your new 2005 database.
4. Move your SQL server logins/users from 2008 database to 2005 database using sp_help_revlogin stored procedure.

May 8th, 2010 11:41pm

SQl Server 2005 SP3 will go upto  611 where as you are retiring a SQL 2008 db which is version 655.
Do your self a favour before migrating DBs' between different versions do a [select * from sysdatabases] and check the column VERSION. Most of us believe CMPTLEVEL if 90 will go good for version 9.0 but its the database internal version that matters.

If you are still looking for a migration from 10 to 9, script it out as Leks.

May 9th, 2010 10:14am

I have developed the database with SQL Server 2008 Express Edition and now am trying to open it with SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition and because of this, I don't think that I'm wrong. Can you help me?
May 9th, 2010 7:02pm

Yes , you cannot backup/restore or detach/attach databases directly from SQL 2008 to SQL 2005. You should move objects using SSMS script wizard or import/export wizard or database publishing wizard.

See the links that i have posted in my previous post.

May 9th, 2010 7:30pm

But I want to open the databse with SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition. Please read my previous post in this topic and help me.

May 9th, 2010 7:39pm

Can u please post he result for Express edition and Enter Prize Edition

SELECT @@VERSION

May 9th, 2010 7:49pm

But I want to open the databse with SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition. Please read my previous post in this topic and he

May 9th, 2010 9:48pm

Hi,

The database 'C:\USERS\MOHSEN\DESKTOP\SCORM\APP_DATA\ASPNETDB.MDF' cannot be opened because it is version 655. This server supports version 612 and earlier. A downgrade path is not supported.
Could not open new database 'C:\USERS\MOHSEN\DESKTOP\SCORM\APP_DATA\ASPNETDB.MDF'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted.
An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file C:\Users\Mohsen\Desktop\SCORM\App_Data\aspnetdb.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share.

What's the pr

May 9th, 2010 9:56pm

Hi,

The database 'C:\USERS\MOHSEN\DESKTOP\SCORM\APP_DATA\ASPNETDB.MDF' cannot be opened because it is version 655. This server supports version 612 and earlier.

MJ for the message shown above, check your instance version. What do you see for select @@version.
May 10th, 2010 2:25am

See Sankar's reply. My guess is that you aren't connected to the instance you think you are. You are in fact connected to an earlier version instance.
May 10th, 2010 10:31am

I had the same problem and all i did was to remove the existing ASPNETDB data and log file from the App_Data folder.

Then i browsed the web site and the ASPNETDB was created automatically for the database version installed on my machine.

In our case ASPNETDB was used for its default usage hence it worked fine with the newly created one.

If there were any custom settings then obviously you will need to recreate the database in the correct version using sql script.

December 25th, 2010 2:41pm

If You have installed express version of SQL2008R2 instead of Enterprises Version,

This error is occurred, so Please Uninstall Sql express Edition and install complete SQL2008R2 Enterprises Edition.

• Edited by Hemant Soni Monday, January 16, 2012 12:54 PM Gr
January 16th, 2012 12:46pm

Just change the connection string in your web.config and build the project.

No need to upgrade to SQL 2012.

June 21st, 2015 5:30pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics