The SID
Why is it that no one ever answers quesitons about computer SIDs? Is it because they don't matter anymore? I am setting up Windows 7 computers to add to a domain using a KMS server. If I run sysprep then it takes hours to set up each computer, if I do it the way I did with XP I can have a computer named and on the domain in 45 minutes. No one ever answers any questions on this issue!Ted
October 22nd, 2009 5:20pm

For the most part, there are usually no problems with Duplicated SIDs when the computers are members of a domain, especially if local user accounts are not used. However, from my experience, it is problematic for some applications in the domain. For example, if you have duplicate computer SIDs in the domain, Microsoft's SMS and SCCM will not be able to properly distinguish the computer objects because of the duplicate SIDs.I would recommendt that the appropriate steps be taken to ensure that Duplicate SIDs are avoided, even it it requires extra work.Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 22nd, 2009 5:50pm

For the most part, there are usually no problems with Duplicated SIDs when the computers are members of a domain, especially if local user accounts are not used. I hope you meant to say 'When the computers are duplicated, and then made member of a domain'.
November 1st, 2009 12:27am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics