The RPC server is unavailable while trying to take Remote Desktop of 2003 Server.
Dear All

Recently I am facing remote desktop login problem in on Windows 2003 Server.
While I am enter user name and password server give me logon error.

"The system cannot log you on due to the following error:
The RPC server is unavailable.

Please try again or consult your system administrator.

Kindly help me.........
September 24th, 2009 7:52am

Hi vijay,

thank you for posting in windows forums,

can you please tell us the source and destination you are trying to connect

a) operating system

b) network information

c) did this worked before ? , what has recently changed

d) are you able to ping to the destination server

e) are these on same domain or on different domain ?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 24th, 2009 8:34am

Hi,

Whenever u face such an issue...goto ur domain controller machine. Open up services.msc
here u can check for two services :-

1.Computer browser and
2.Secondary logon.

Somehow these two services might have stopped. Just restart these services n u will be able to login :)
September 30th, 2009 6:58am

Hi,

Whenever u face such an issue...goto ur domain controller machine. Open up services.msc

1.Computer browser and
2.Secondary logon.

Somehow these two services might have stopped. Just restart these services n u will be able to login :)
September 30th, 2009 9:58am

Hi,

1.Computer browser and
2.Secondary logon.

Hi,

1.Computer browser and
2.Secondary logon.

Hi Goel,

please remember RPC is service independent , it completely relies on IPC ( interprocess communication ) and developers uses this technology to develop stable client server applications which helps in calling different subroutines.

And to answer your question , every service will be hosted by the SCM and SCM itself is a RPC server so falling back to different services ( computer broswer and secon logon) doesnt validate unless we have concrete technical evidence

Remember service can either run in its own process or can be shared. So we need to check the components involved in the error

October 2nd, 2009 4:16am

Hi,

1.Computer browser and
2.Secondary logon.

Thanks, you saved my day! I had the same problem, then noticed that the Computer Browser service on my domain controller was down. Starting the service solved the problem.
November 9th, 2009 11:15am

Hi,

1.Computer browser and
2.Secondary logon.

Thanks, you saved my day! I had the same problem, then noticed that the Computer Browser service on my domain controller was down. Starting the service solved the problem.
November 9th, 2009 2:15pm

Hi,

1.Computer browser and
2.Secondary logon.

Hi,

1.Computer browser and
2.Secondary logon.

I'm having the same issue occasionally but I've checked these services and they are all running.
November 3rd, 2010 2:17am

Hi Michael,

Try putting this registry key in your regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server

Create a new kwy selecting Dword and name it as IgnoreRegUserConfigErrors

now double click it and give a value as 1

Now try doing an RDP it should work for you .

It should work for you .

This issue is normally seen in 2003 servers and suggest using my fix only on 2003 servers.

August 8th, 2011 3:56pm

In case anyone comes upon this old thread...start LMHosts service.
August 19th, 2011 6:06am

I dont think starting LMHosts service. will help .
August 19th, 2011 1:22pm

I have the same error trying to remote desktop to a windows 2003 server. I can remote to the machine's local account, but not through the domain. I have tried everything in this thread, nothing has fixed it!
September 1st, 2011 6:19pm

Just Restart the Netlogo & DNS client it work for temporary
September 8th, 2011 5:07pm

September 8th, 2011 8:07pm

Hi Sam,

what is the error message you get when you try to login with domain account ?

September 9th, 2011 4:21am

This worked for me, Thanks a lot
December 8th, 2011 11:22am

Hi Singhpps

which one worked for you ?

December 8th, 2011 4:53pm

I just started spontaneously having this problem yesterday. I am not aware of anything having changed that would prompt it, though I did do a Windows Update on all servers AFTER the problem manifested to see if that might fix it. (No such luck) For reasons unexplained, the system HAS let me in a few times, though it hasn't been consistent, and now it seems to have locked me out entirely (except through the VSphere back door, explained below). I am running Windows 7 on my laptop, and I have received a report of the same problem from another employee trying to log in from their computer, which I believe is also running Win7.

I am running two VMWare instances of Server 2003 R2, one Domain Controller and another production environment. I can RDP just fine to the DC, but not the production. Also, using the VSphere VMware management client on a separate machine, I CAN log in to the production environment without a problem.

I have tried the fixes around restarting stopped services, but nothing has helped yet. I've also tried disabling my anti-virus temporarily, with no effect. I tried pinging the various IP addresses, and received timeouts on the 2 images, as well as their host server. Again, though, I CAN log into the DC without issue.

Could someone please elaborate on how to create this registry key? On which image would I add this key? (I am a novice user, so using regedit is somewhat unfamiliar to me)

Any other thoughts about potential solutions?

Thanks!

Update Dec 15 2011: Just tried restarting the Production image, via VSphere, and then successfully logged in and out 3 times in quick succession by regular RDP. The symptoms have been temporarily soothed, though I wonder if the underlying problem remains? Still no answer to why this happened in the first place, so I'd appreciate input.

Update Dec 16 2011: The problem came back this morning, and remained all day. I can still access by VSphere, but have other users who need to access by regular RDP. I'd rather not have to reboot the system constantly just to allow access... Any help is much appreciated!

December 16th, 2011 6:53am

I just started spontaneously having this problem yesterday. I am not aware of anything having changed that would prompt it, though I did do a Windows Update on all servers AFTER the problem manifested to see if that might fix it. (No such luck) For reasons unexplained, the system HAS let me in a few times, though it hasn't been consistent, and now it seems to have locked me out entirely (except through the VSphere back door, explained below). I am running Windows 7 on my laptop, and I have received a report of the same problem from another employee trying to log in from their computer, which I believe is also running Win7.

I am running two VMWare instances of Server 2003 R2, one Domain Controller and another production environment. I can RDP just fine to the DC, but not the production. Also, using the VSphere VMware management client on a separate machine, I CAN log in to the production environment without a problem.

I have tried the fixes around restarting stopped services, but nothing has helped yet. I've also tried disabling my anti-virus temporarily, with no effect. I tried pinging the various IP addresses, and received timeouts on the 2 images, as well as their host server. Again, though, I CAN log into the DC without issue.

Could someone please elaborate on how to create this registry key? On which image would I add this key? (I am a novice user, so using regedit is somewhat unfamiliar to me)

Thanks!

Update Dec 15 2011: Just tried restarting the Production image, via VSphere, and then successfully logged in and out 3 times in quick succession by regular RDP. The symptoms have been temporarily soothed, though I wonder if the underlying problem remains? Still no answer to why this happened in the first place, so I'd appreciate input.

Update Dec 16 2011: The problem came back this morning, and remained all day. I can still access by VSphere, but have other users who need to access by regular RDP. I'd rather not have to reboot the system constantly just to allow access... Any help is much appreciated!

December 16th, 2011 9:53am

Thanks!

Thanks!

Excellent!
April 10th, 2012 12:18am

Thanks this worked for us.

(Editing the registry IgnoreRegUserConfigErrors)

• Edited by bobwheaties Wednesday, July 25, 2012 5:41 PM
July 25th, 2012 5:41pm

July 25th, 2012 8:41pm

Hi Bobwheaties,

Please consider voting and selecting option of Propose As Answer , as this helps others too.

July 26th, 2012 7:57am

Please consider voting and selecting option of Propose As Answer , as this helps other

August 3rd, 2012 3:30pm

Worked for me restarting the Netlogon & DNS client services on the terminal (RDP) server.
May 12th, 2013 5:57am

I resolved it by going to the network interface card (NIC) on the server and making sure Client for Microsoft Networks service was activated in the NIC properties.
  • Proposed as answer by E.dez Monday, July 21, 2014 6:22 PM
August 15th, 2013 8:02pm

I resolved it by going to the network interface card (NIC) on the server and making sure Client for Microsoft Networks service was activated in the NIC properties.
August 15th, 2013 11:02pm

Hi Michael,

It should work for you .

This issue is normally seen in 2003 servers and suggest using my fix only on 2003 servers.

September 6th, 2013 5:28pm

Date: 7th Sep 2013

The following solution given in the mail thread worked for me:

========

ADD This reg. key on the remote server giving the error:

It should work for you .

========

September 7th, 2013 6:58pm

Thanks its working...u saved me...
January 7th, 2014 5:58am

January 7th, 2014 8:58am

January 7th, 2014 8:58am

Thanks for this post. The Netlogon and DNS service restarts worked for me. :-)
January 30th, 2014 10:14pm

I understand, but how do we query to know which DC it is connected when RPC in unaivalable ? i have multiple DC in my enviroment .
March 1st, 2014 9:49pm

It's worth to try to ping the domain controller from the machine RDC establishing is failed. In my case, ping didn't work probably because the order of network connections (Network Connections - Advanced menu - Advanced Settings) was broken (although it seemed to be correct). I have disabled one of the network connections - it helped (then I have enabled that network connection again).
April 10th, 2014 5:20am

Thanks a lot.. it worked for me on a Windows 2003 Server.
October 3rd, 2014 7:57am

Thanks, that did really the trick!!

csilver

October 11th, 2014 12:17pm

This worked Michael

It should work for you .

November 15th, 2014 12:32pm

This works for me ~  but i feel this is just a temporary solution

December 30th, 2014 7:49am

Thanks @Dave07424

The solution given by you worked for me.

Thanks a Lot.

Now we are troubleshooting, why Server is not able to get the Group policies.

- Ashish K

January 7th, 2015 3:16am

This worked! Thank You!
May 1st, 2015 3:45pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics