The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'xp_sysmail_activate', database 'mssqlsystemresource', schema 'sys'.'

i have set up database mail on a sql 2005 server, the same way as other servers. but on this server all mail are queued and in unsent status.  In SQL error log, there are lots of entries on "The activated proc [dbo].[sp_sysmail_activate] running on queue msdb.dbo.ExternalMailQueue output the following:  'The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'xp_sysmail_activate', database 'mssqlsystemresource', schema 'sys'.'

I tried to grant exec permission to sql agent service account,  restart database mail, restart sql server agent, restart sql server but none of them work. 

I have verified: broker service started on msdb and database mail is started.

Any insight?

May 18th, 2011 2:43pm

First of check that the Service account has sysadmin privileges within SQL Server and has Local Admin Rights to the Server.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 18th, 2011 3:43pm

Hi,

Is this instance a SQL Server Express edition? If yes, the this feature is NOT available.

If not add more details about the edition and if it is clustered or is it a virtual machine.

May 18th, 2011 9:48pm

Hello,

I have received the same error like below.

The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'xp_sysmail_activate', database 'mssqlsystemresource', schema 'sys'.'

I have resolved it on my machine, please check the below things.

Please check the owner of dbo in msdb database.
Verify if the login mapped to dbo user is a member of sysadmin fixed server.
If not add the login to sysadmin role and try sending the test mail again.

Check for any error in the application log and view database mail log.

Thanks,
Pramodkumar.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 3rd, 2015 8:00pm

the error is received because the account trying to execute will not be a sysadmin and for sure querying the Resource database needs sysadmin privilege.
September 3rd, 2015 9:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics