Test-Recovery of one of two Domain Controllers (Server 2008 R2)

hello,

I do have a question about restoring an DC testwise to make sure I would be prepared in case of a real disaster:

We have
1. in our main office a Windows 2008R2 Server with an Active Directory and an Oracle database
2. also in the main office an Exchange 2010 server
3. in a branch office that is connected by VPN another 2008 R2 server with AD to enable user logons in case of a network interruption.

All machines are backed up using Windows' own backup tool.

I wanted to test a recovery of the main office's DC onto an unused hardware which is not connected to the network. The restore itself went smooth, the server boots up but takes very long to log me on. After that I had reset the server to the original IP address and rebooted but still I can hardly do anything because - that's how explain it for myself - it waits for the initial replication to the second DC to get  up-to-date information? Of course I can not do that because this machine is just an additional copy that should not exist.

If my assumptions are correct I would say that one of my goals is already achieved and the AD would recover after the replication in case it was a real restore?

How could I get the recovered test server to ignore replication and just start working with an old AD? I would like to connect to the Oracle database simply to see everything is there and the ERP system works, but I cant because is seems my DNS resolution isn't working correctly. I guess because it is AD integrated. (This is what I assume because of various error- or warning messages. Please tell me if you think I'm wrong.)

To recover the second (branch office) DC I dont have the required hardware and I guess it wouldn't help anyway because then I have two machines waiting for a replication that never happens?

Thank's in advance for any suggestions,
kind regards, Markus
September 2nd, 2015 1:24pm

Hi,

As it was restored to the new PC, it may still trying to connect other DCs for replication.

Test to set it to an authoritative restore and see if it could let you continue test other functions.

Performing Authoritative Restore of Active Directory Objects

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816878(v=ws.10).aspx

Specifically please refer to "Authoritative restore procedures" part. 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 4th, 2015 1:27am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics