Temporary Password Reset
Hi, Is there anyway to temporarily reset a users AD password so that their email can be migrated across onto a new system and then change their password back to what ever it was before? Thanks, Alex
June 20th, 2011 3:07pm

Hello, short answer is No. If you change the password to whatever and you have to reset it then you must know the previous password.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 20th, 2011 4:23pm

Also, for the user to change it back, your passowrd policy for Password HIstory would need to be set to 0 or disabled if it has not been set as of yet. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
June 20th, 2011 4:58pm

You may have addressed your problem, but the solution you proposed does not address the original question you posted " temporarily reset a users AD password so that their email can be migrated across ....".Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
June 21st, 2011 9:50am

The problem could be solved as I suggested before by: backing up the AD, then reset the users password, then export there email, then restore the AD backup.
June 21st, 2011 9:52am

Isnt it possible to backup the AD then reset the users password, export there email and then restore the ad backup?
June 22nd, 2011 5:44am

Hello, in theory this may work with a non-authoritative restore. But why the hell must you reset users password to migrate settings? Export the mails to .pst file and import the mail on the new environment and you are done. Maybe you describe in detail what you are trying to achieve including the used OS versions and Exchange version. Also an admin has not to play around with users password without talking to them. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
June 22nd, 2011 6:10am

The source mailboxes cannot be converted to a PST as they are currently stored in a non exchange environment. I have managed to find a solution to the problem: by creating an exchange user with permissions to access all users mailboxes on the destination server. The password reset method would have been required because the migration tool I was using required the source and the destination mailbox password to migrate however I have now managed to modify the tool to work with an exchange admin account.
June 22nd, 2011 6:22am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics