Templates in my Certificate Authority are doubled
I installed and configured a CA on my server 2008 Ent. System. When I go into templates to duplicate for use in my CA I notice that all the templates in Certificate Templates are doubled. It doesn't affect anything because I am able to create duplicate templates and the CA is working just fine but was just curious as to why that is and if there is a way to remove WITHOUT causing an issue.
May 23rd, 2011 5:22pm

Certificate templates are stored in Active Directory. They are doubled probably because two different Enterprise CAs wrote them there or someone ran a command (certutil -installdefaulttemplates) to replace them. As long as you have not modified the ones you want to delete, it is okay to remove them. Don't remove any that you have modified or are using.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 14th, 2012 12:06am

Certificate templates are stored in Active Directory. They are doubled probably because two different Enterprise CAs wrote them there or someone ran a command (certutil -installdefaulttemplates) to replace them. As long as you have not modified the ones you want to delete, it is okay to remove them. Don't remove any that you have modified or are using. Well There are many reasons why an object is duplicated in AD but just having two different Ent. CAs or just running the certutil command is not such a reason. Replication problems/delays together with overwrite operations or changes on objects before fully replicated might result in conflicting objects in AD. Using ADSIEdit.msc navigate to the certificate template container. Do you have any objects with the keyword CNF in name? /Hasain
April 16th, 2012 5:03am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics