Taskbar clock disappears
We are using Server 2008 Standard x64. After the server is built and joined to the domain, any administratorlogs inand the taskbar clock is hidden. We have to keep turning it back on. This occurs when logging on directly to the physical console and through RDP. I tried changing the Experience settings to LAN (and other settings) in the Remote Desktop Connection client but this made no difference. The Remove Clock from the system notification area User GPO is not configured (default). The install is straight from a Server 2008 disc. MCTS 70-620 Certified
August 26th, 2009 8:49pm

Hi, Thank you for posting here. This issue may occur if the Registry Key is not set correctly. We have two options to import correct Registry. For detailed steps, please refer to the following article: How can I enable the clock in the Taskbar for all remote sessions?http://ts.veranoest.net/ts_faq_configuration.htm#enable_clock You can configure a Domain wide GPO to enable clock for all users. For your convenience: 1. Start the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC) and go to User Configuration - Preferences - Windows Settings - Registry 2. right-click - New - Registry Wizard - select Local Computer - select the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2 3. Select the "Settings" value and enter the proper data, using the above mentioned values for the different properties of the taskbar 4. Click "Finish" 5. Select the "Settings" value - right-click - properties - Common tab 6. Select the option "Run in logged-on user's security context (user policy option)" Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 27th, 2009 6:50am

Mervyn, thank you. The problem is I don't see "Registry" in the User Config > Preferences > Windows Settings> in Windows Server 2008 policy editor as that page describes. On one of our Windows Server 2003 servers I also changed the binary data for the taskbar properties and this had no effect even after logging off/on. MCTS 70-620 Certified
August 27th, 2009 4:45pm

Hi, Sorry for the delay of response. I understand you cannot find "Registry" under User Config > Preferences. Could you find other Preference policy settings? Please capture a screenshot of the User Configuration-> Preference for troubleshooting. Please use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the file and then give me the download address. Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
August 31st, 2009 11:42am

Hi, Do you need any other assistance? If there is anything we can do for you, please let us know. Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
September 3rd, 2009 9:11am

Hello, I too am having this same problem. I dont understand why MS removes functionality from new builds. Why remove the clock and not give us an easy way to add it back in? why remove the animated network icon? Anyhow, i tried following the directions. I opened regedit and change the value from 0A to 02, but when i log off or reboot, it goes back to 0A and no clock. Also tried changing the value to 0E but the same thing happens - no clock and it's back to 0A when i log off/log back on. This is a win2k8 web R2 server. under group policy i did not see anything to edit the registry there. I did however see under admin templates/start menu/remove clock from sys notification area. This was set to not configured, which should be the same as disabled. I disabled it anyhow but still no clock.
September 10th, 2009 1:07am

Hi Ian, The easiest way I found to fix this was to use a script (.vbs or .bat) to load the ntuser.dat file into the registry and make the change to the current user and to the default user profile so that the changes affect the user who runs the script and future users who login to the server. After you have made your changes you can unload the ntuser.dat file and you're done. This is also useful for making any desktop changes, i.e. You could disable "Hide Inactive Icons" and "Manage My Computer", etc. The possibilties to customise the desktop are endless. This is what I use in on our 2008 server builds to fix the hidden taskbar clock feature in terminal services. e.g. 1st line loads the default user profile to HKLM\TEMP. 2nd line runs the reg update to StuckRects2 and 3rd line to finish closes the default user profile key. 1. "cmd /c reg LOAD HKLM\TEMP %SystemDrive%\USERS\DEFAULT\NTUSER.DAT" 2. "regedit /s C:\TEMP\ENABLECLOCK.REG" 3. "cmd /c reg UNLOAD HKLM\TEMP" This is the registry file I use - ENABLECLOCK.REG. You can customise it to your environment, i.e. export the existing value as a logged in user, change the variables you talked about above and apply as described. Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2] "Settings"=hex:28,00,00,00,ff,ff,ff,ff,52,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,46,00,00,00,22,\ 00,00,00,fe,ff,ff,ff,e0,03,00,00,02,05,00,00,02,04,00,00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\TEMP\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2] "Settings"=hex:28,00,00,00,ff,ff,ff,ff,52,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,46,00,00,00,22,\ 00,00,00,fe,ff,ff,ff,e0,03,00,00,02,05,00,00,02,04,00,00 Cheers, Gareth
December 10th, 2010 8:42am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics